Barn find restoration -- midyear 427

rtj

Thought I'd share this:

http://www.bairs.com/page443.asp

That link is for a barn-find they rebuilt back to how it was found. I met the owner and there is no doubt they could have restored this to near perfect condition.

I drove a few hours to buy some parts of Craig's list and ended up learning a few things.

I dig the "rat rod" aesthetic for a lot of things (hell, I have a pair of mid-50s Fisher tube amps that were never going to be pretty again, so I left them as ugly as when found), but not a Corvette. Corvettes should be shiny.

He owns a shop that restores cars, rebuilds diffs/trailing arms, and has a nos parts catalog. He could restore it to perfection if he wanted. It sits next to a highly optioned 427 that is a beauty.

Nice people, they gave me a tour.

I bought a pair of Bairs output yokes for the back of my '72.....over 20 years ago, hardened ends, still on line.....used to be called YOGI Bairs back then....

I can't figger out how in hell that frame/suspension survived setting out in the mid west weather that long.....nearly impossible, the rust holes HAVE to be terminal all over the car.....

:crutches:

I bought a pair of Bairs output yokes for the back of my '72.....over 20 years ago, hardened ends, still on line.....used to be called YOGI Bairs back then....

I can't figger out how in hell that frame/suspension survived setting out in the mid west weather that long.....nearly impossible, the rust holes HAVE to be terminal all over the car.....

:crutches:

What gets them out here is the salt. They use a lot of salt! If it didn't see salt, and the tires were aired up, it's likely surface rust.

One thing I thought was neat, is they bake cast parts like the rear bearing housing as part of the restoration process. The way I understood, any factory makings (assembly marks) are visible after they come out of the oven.