Global West Trailing Arms

Kid Vette

Master-Baiter
Just wanted to mention a couple things if you're thinking about using them. I think I mentioned before on another thread, because of the location of the mounting brackets on the TAs; the emergency brake cable will be about 4" too long.

Well, I discovered another issue yesterday when I pulled the rear wheels off.

5355468a8579fdb.jpg

5355468a85f274e.jpg

They have been hitting my shocks. So make sure you grind the flange when installing to make sure they don't hit your shocks. I'd really feel bad if I had already installed the Bilsteins and they got marked up like this. :cussing:

Overall I'm very happy with them just wanted to pass on a couple things you need to look out for.

Well that sure sucks. To each his own I guess.

I built a set of those arms and have to say, while they are nice looking and strong, I wouldn't recommend them. I didn't like the fact the 4 bolts holding the bearing support were not knurled like the factory 3/8 bolts and since they were 7/16 if I recall, they required drilling the 4 holes in the caliper bracket. My customer didn't like that and bought another set of brackets to drill. He regretted the whole experience.

Add in the parking cable issues and now the shock alignment and I'll pass. We have run stock arms, Tom's and Van Steel offset at the track without any issue at all. I have several 12 bolt in line to build now and all will be using Tom's arms.

Good luck, small problem that you can correct.

That could have been much worse than scuffing the outer shield. They need to clearance that.

My opinion is.....

why to change stock trailing arms with aftermarket ones ?

Only for tire clearance, because they don't give any other benefit..... and are maybe heavier.

The only real benefit to the stock configuration is to replace the bushing with a rod-end or a Jonny-joint, due to the rototation in two axis of the pivot point (unless you have enough room for your tires).

Just my two cents

Last edited:
Higher strength and you can run more backspace with the extra offset arms. Plus the oem TA's tend to rust out.

My TA's were changed out some 20 years ago, the ebrake cable flange was moved to behind the rotor, my car is a '72 but has flares damn close to a late shark, the wheels are 1.5" wider than stock.....'89 vette rims....275/50/17 in rear 255/50/17 in front I find about 1/4" clearance off the TA's, and the same off the sway bar, main reason I don't go larger on the tires is $$$$$ :pprrtt: and of course, then to add to the flares they right on it now....

Higher strength and you can run more backspace with the extra offset arms. Plus the oem TA's tend to rust out.

As I told..... the only asset is more tire clearance.

Newer seen a broken trailing arm and yes they rust out..... but what about an aftermarket T-A after 40 years in Chicago?

As I told..... the only asset is more tire clearance.

Newer seen a broken trailing arm and yes they rust out..... but what about an aftermarket T-A after 40 years in Chicago?

Look at Tom's.

DSC_0727.jpg

The welds will split on the oem arms.

All the seams that are un welded on the oem arms seem to corrode.

Last edited:
"Our racing trailing arms start life as new OEM stock arms which we sandblast, reinforce with a continuous perimeter weld and add a .125 4130 steel plate on top to resist bending. "

This seems to indicate an issue. Duntov's product.

Just wanted to mention a couple things if you're thinking about using them. I think I mentioned before on another thread, because of the location of the mounting brackets on the TAs; the emergency brake cable will be about 4" too long.

Well, I discovered another issue yesterday when I pulled the rear wheels off.

5355468a8579fdb.jpg

5355468a85f274e.jpg

They have been hitting my shocks. So make sure you grind the flange when installing to make sure they don't hit your shocks. I'd really feel bad if I had already installed the Bilsteins and they got marked up like this. :cussing:

Overall I'm very happy with them just wanted to pass on a couple things you need to look out for.

Thanks for posting that, good info.

If you are going to change trailing arms .
Look at ridetech
And their rear coilover kit .
The best suspension mod I have done to my 70 model.
Bfit