Ideas Needed For Remote Opening Hood

GoVetteGo

I am finally to a point where I can see my way back to working on my Darth Vader Vette. WOOHOO!!

One of the items I want to accomplish is to have to open and close the hood by using a remote device. The remote device will be an iPhone connected via WiFi.

Has anyone seen plans to accomplish this. I have heard of people using linear actuators and one person said he heard of using window motors.

If you have any thoughts or info on automating the opening and closing of Darth's hood, bring them on!!! :sos: :sos: :D

Thanks

John

Glad to hear you are back at it! [I'm in Thailand doing boat work - so my project is on hold --again!]

I'm planning on using linear actuators for the rear clip lift. A guy on one of the Locost Forums (I recall) used pieces of PVC pipe - one inside the other to approximate the length he'd need. Seems cheaper than Buy-Try-Cry (repeat as as often as needed).

Cheers - Jim

Thanks for your input Jim. I guess "Life happens" to all of us! Just got to grin and move on. Although doing boat work in Thailand doesn't sound too bad! Lol

My inclination on the hood mechanism is to be as stealthy as possible. Linear actuators will be visible and you'd probably need one on each side.. I'd also assume that the hood latches will go bye bye!!!

Fun stuff again!

Cheers,

John

How about wheelchair van lift mechanisms? I remember a dumpster I used to raid regularly for hardware was in back of a place that converted vans to handicap needs. They had some interesting rack & lift parts which could probably be modified to work, and they were pretty heavy duty. Electric rack & pinions with remote operation & automatic stops.....

You piqued my curiosity - so did a bit of sleuthing...
Balls Rod and Kustom has a kit - you could DIY it I'm sure :
126956961253da274.jpg

Hides the actuator and uses a simple NASCAR style Aluminum Hinged Strut (eBay).

Or, garage door style:
1269569617355cb43.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Neat ideas Jim!!! The second illustration with the "garage door" concept is cool!!! Imagine getting that in around the radiator and housing.

I grabbed one of the window motors from my 78 and went and looked at the geometry where the hood hinges are. Regardless which way you slice this project, there will be a bunch of fabrication.

But, it WILL be done. Good thing I do not have a Get R Done Date!!!

Thanks

John