'70 Speedometer Removal...

Luster

Compulsively Anal
My friend Mike has a '70 and needs to remove and re-build the speedometer.

1. How big of a job is it to get it out?

2. Need instructions for HOW to get it out. (Have to pull dash or not?)

Thanks............................... Bill.................

Yes the entire tach/speedo dash comes out, and it's a super PIA....remove all the covers underneath, and the wiper/vac switches....pull the kick panel...loosen the metal sill plate, the steering wheel on the kick panel/firewall needs just LOOSENED, the wheel up under the cover has two bolts 9/16 headed 3/8-16 about 1.5 inches long...removing them will allow the wheel to flop down,

at that time remove all the phillips screws from the door jamb, top of dash pad, and cneter cluster side....remove the access panel off the side of the console with that single screw.....

at that point, carefully slide your hand up there when it's to the rear a bit, and remove the speedo/tach cables they greatly restrice the movement, aftar all that you can start removing the headlight switch plug, then the panel lights....must be 50 of the little bastards, you maybe want to replace them at this time

tip of the hat.....I got tired of redoing my lights while 1/2 way in/out of the car....screw that, I put a radio shack molex plug on the wiring, so all the lights are rewired to ONE plug, that way I just unplug it and pull the panel out....easy.....leaving the lights mounted, that way I can play with it the way I need to on the bench before installation again....

the speedo/tach are another post....

Thanks Gene... I'm going to pass this info on to Mike. I don't know if he will be getting much help from me on this one... I'm not very good at working in confined spaces!!!

Appreciate the info.......:wink:

Thanks Gene... I'm going to pass this info on to Mike. I don't know if he will be getting much help from me on this one... I'm not very good at working in confined spaces!!!

Appreciate the info.......:wink:

hehe...not all that bad really, but it is nice to get a chick with tiney hands up there for the cables.....note, I have simplified hell outta my situation also by running the speedo cable through the hump and inside the kick panel, so it comes to the rear really easy for install/removal...course this went with the tranny changeout to a 200 4r.....the tach in my car is '75-7 electric, so has it's own plug....

God, I"m lazy....

:trumpet: