Biggest rotor under 15" rim?

Vettezuki

I'm looking put some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials on my old cast aluminum 15" rims. I know they'll fit without any trouble with my basically stock setup, since the rim and tire size 255/60x15 is what the Vette originally came with.

However, I have thoughts of upgrading the brakes all around, and was wondering if a 12" rotor and typical Wilwood 4 piston caliper would fit under a a 15" rim. If not I may have to step up a size in tires, like a 275/40x17, but I think that 275 is sort of the outer limit for fitting under basically stock rear end. I just rebuilt the stock trailing arms (which work great), so I'm not interested in stepping up to offset TAs or anything like that right now. Any advice? Anybody running 275/40x17s under a stock 80-82 rear end?

i run the 275/40/17 on 9" rims with 5"bs and they don't even fill up the fender wells

the wilwood dynalites work with the stock rotors under stock rims. You might get a little bigger rotor in there but why? It don't help that much.

i run the 275/40/17 on 9" rims with 5"bs and they don't even fill up the fender wells

the wilwood dynalites work with the stock rotors under stock rims. You might get a little bigger rotor in there but why? It don't help that much.

What rims are you running? So you have no spacing issues whatsoever (i.e., don't require a spacer)? What year?

I don't really need 275 DRs, but the 17" rim would give me a safer upgrade path for brakes if I wanted to. I was thinking 13" (6 piston) front 12" rear (4 piston).

What rims are you running? So you have no spacing issues whatsoever (i.e., don't require a spacer)? What year?

I don't really need 275 DRs, but the 17" rim would give me a safer upgrade path for brakes if I wanted to. I was thinking 13" (6 piston) front 12" rear (4 piston).

i run the dynalite caliper all around. Its very small compared to the stock caliper. You can run any wheel you want without interference issues.

i run cheap steel wheels Craiger black soft 8 17x9 with 5"bs

507653_86_full.jpg

i run the dynalite caliper all around. Its very small compared to the stock caliper. You can run any wheel you want without interference issues.

i run cheap steel wheels Craiger black soft 8 17x9 with 5"bs

Awesome, I was thinking of exactly the same wheel. What's the backspacing and offset you use and do you need a spacer?

I'm looking put some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials on my old cast aluminum 15" rims. I know they'll fit without any trouble with my basically stock setup, since the rim and tire size 255/60x15 is what the Vette originally came with.

However, I have thoughts of upgrading the brakes all around, and was wondering if a 12" rotor and typical Wilwood 4 piston caliper would fit under a a 15" rim. If not I may have to step up a size in tires, like a 275/40x17, but I think that 275 is sort of the outer limit for fitting under basically stock rear end. I just rebuilt the stock trailing arms (which work great), so I'm not interested in stepping up to offset TAs or anything like that right now. Any advice? Anybody running 275/40x17s under a stock 80-82 rear end?

waiting to hear a 15" combo :bump:

waiting to hear a 15" combo :bump:

Put a set of MT ET STreet Radials 255/60x15 on your stock 8.5" rim, bam done.

I'll be going with the 275/40x17 on 17x9 Cragar 8s (exactly as Turtlevette). It'll give me plenty of growing room for brakes and enough traction to go into the 9s, which won't be happening so I'll be set.

I have 12.187" rotors on my vintage racer with 15" wheels, the car the wheels came off of had Wilwood six piston calipers with 12.187 Wilwood rotors & hats.
redvetracr

I have 12.187" rotors on my vintage racer with 15" wheels, the car the wheels came off of had Wilwood six piston calipers with 12.187 Wilwood rotors & hats.
redvetracr

Thank you very much. I don't think any future rear-brake upgrade will be larger than 12". THis means, I don't have to go with the 275/40x17 with new Rims, but could reuse my OE Cast Alum 15" with 255/60x15 tires. Overall, much cheaper and plenty of grip for my power level.

Ceers.

My research left me to believe that once you get above a certain level of Wilwood brakes. That you have to think about other master cylinders and adjustment valves

I've dorked with lots of things and now I have something that can do lapping races without failure

My research left me to believe that once you get above a certain level of Wilwood brakes. That you have to think about other master cylinders and adjustment valves

I've dorked with lots of things and now I have something that can do lapping races without failure

I expected to change the MC and proportioning valve at that time. (Don't remember the details, but have the notes round'here somewhere.)