'89 Nissan Maxima....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
has a timing BELT on a V6 engine,

and to align the notch with the die stamp makes/divots...

anyone familiar with that POS?? belongs to a neighbor, and we been fretting about that thing for some time now....

anyone??

:hissyfit::hissyfit::censored:

DOHC ??

you should be able to find that page of the manual online..... better safe than sorry, even if that means driving to AutoZone and buy the manual for $20.... they're usually open til 9 so you have 19 minutes :D

The 'manual' is poorly written, as usual, and so there is this possible reason the engine runs and backfires so shitty....we think it's to tear down the entire damn pass side of the engine yet again, and check those timing marks, yet again for the 99th time....the trick is, we have equal compression on each bank, there in one cam per bank, and the manual says align some stupid really hard to see divot, like a pin stamp divot on the gears with another divot on the backside of the belt guard sheetmetal, and then crank has this slot cut out of a raises metal surround to align IT"S divot on so I assume it's the slot to align with not the left over metal next to the slot which naturally is the same size as the slot.....if you saw it you know WTF I mean, if not, this is confusing as hell fucking Jap junk....

:hissyfit:

If the belt hasn't jumped or broken you can just mark everything, remove the belt, install the belt, check marks and put it back together. Doesn't really matter where the engine is in it's rotation as long as you put the belt on with everything in the same spot as you took it apart. Do it all the time at work. Only time it gets really tricky is when you have two tensioners and one of them is between the two banks like on a 2003 Cadillac CTS 2.3 V6.

Last edited:
There is a note in the 'book' a stupid Chiltons about it being a interference engine, but it spins freely.....the P/O was supposed to do a belt on the engine, so he did, and left off a belt keeper plate upon assembly that allowed the new belt to run off the crank and on to the belt guard/cover....destroying about 1/2 the belt with engine running....found the misplaced shield on front of the balancer instead of the other side where it belonged....

thing is, this is the youngest child of a family that is not doing well at all....

it's a LONG story but they are the hood basket case....she works, he is long since retired, older than me even, with kids born to them about age 50 or so....and to outta the 3 boys ain't 'right' in the head.....

so I tried, but the car is not worth all that much angst, in spite of both banks generating 90+ lbs pressure I can't see anything else but valves at this point....

:hissyfit::clobbered::censored:

remove the valve covers and crank the engine by hand, watch the rockers and the valves and check if all valves are moving freely, if the timing belt slipped one or more of the pistons might have hit the valves. good thing is you can find the heads cheap at the junkyard, probably cheaper than fixing the old heads if the valves are bent....