O-Ring pistons in the stock calipers

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
So, the concensus is leave out the springs when using the o-ring pistons?

I left them out when I did mine last winter. Thinking about it, the O-rings have more resistance and will maintain the position of the pad, where the lip seals will pull back by their own shape. The O rings don't roll, they slide, and they have nothing to pull them back to the original position.

Hi

I agree, also left them out.
But then again, wouldn't harm anything leaving them installed.:rolleyes:

Günther

Totally useless even with stock lip seals....drove it that way for about 4-5 years.....then went Oring all round, about 3? years ago went second round on O rings up front, just after doing hydraboost for some actual braking power....thinking of lowering that pedal a bit further even yet....

have to play with it more.....so much time, so little effort, so few jobs...

so ever effin' lazy....:evil::huh:

a couple of years back my braking was awful. i had to start braking a long distance before stopping at the lights.
upon inspection the front calipers were leaking.
i rebuilt the caliper and changed to o-rings and kept the springs.
front braking since then is that much better and stops the car when i slam on the brakes.
the rears are still in standard condition as they do not leak. i'll change them to o-rings when the time comes.
i have braided brake hoses and use silicon brake fluid.
:cool:

Last edited:
I recently rebuilt my front o-ring calipers, and was thinking about the springs. The springs maintain the pad contact with the rotor; with out the springs, any rotor runout could push the pads away from the rotors, then when you brake the first bit of pedal travel is used up moving the pads into contact with the rotors before any actual braking torque is applied. Considering how many complain of low pedals (in power brake cars anyway), I left them in.

If someone can point out a flaw in my thinking please do so, as I don't see the benefit of removing the springs, but at least in my mind I see a drawback to doing so.

...The springs maintain the pad contact with the rotor; with out the springs, any rotor runout could push the pads away from the rotors...
Even with the springs fitted, rotor runout will still push the pads away from the rotors but the springs will push them back towards the rotors again. From what I understand, this constant back and forth motion can cause air to be pumped IN to the fluid.

Just what I read...

From what I understand, this constant back and forth motion can cause air to be pumped IN to the fluid.

Just what I read...

I've read the same thing but lip seals seem to be more sensitive to this problem, the O-rings seem to be able to handle the 'pumping' motion of the piston better... still I don't see how it would be a huge difference, if your rotor runout is perfect you'll have always contact between the pad and the rotor which translates into heat... maybe it's a good thing to have the pad .004" or so off the rotor....

Well, We installed the springs this time around in John's car. The o-rings were so tight, when we pushed them in to install the dust seals, the o-ring tension overcame the springs, and they stayed retracted. I don't think the springs do squat with o-rings.:search:

Maybe that is exactly the reason WHY the O-ring calippers are not as sensitive when it comes to pumping air into the system....LOL