Old 60's custom

rtj

This car was on Racing Junk a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was just another 60's custom, but after looking at the photos, was kind of curious as to where it came from. Here's his print add, I'll link some photos in a few minutes.

1966 MAKO SHARK CORVETTE SHOW CAR
Ad #181843132 Posted:2013-05-27 10:41:11
This ad expires in 6 days.

anyone knowing about this cars history please let me know. this car had to be in major shows and magazines at one time based on the level of details that went into making it. Thanks
Above Added: Fri May 31, 2013, 10:24 am EST
this is the only one in the world. this is a custom made show car. it is unbelievable to see the work that went into this car. it is priceless. the body is a 1966 corvette coupe. body has then been highly modified. first is the Mako Shark body, which is also one of a kind. not like all the rest. it is a one off design. the doors are gullwing style opening. the rear flares and front side scoops are one off. the long sweeps from the rear glass are one off. the lights are one off. the whole body is moulded top to bottom. the body totally encapsulates the frame. you can not see the frame. it is totally enclosed. bottom of the car is finished and painted. it is as nice and as smooth as the top of the car. the body work is seamless, top to bottom. it is simply amazing. the front end is all custom built one of a kind with chrome and billet aluminum. the rear is a Jaguar with all billet aluminum. interior is all custom, even a one off steering wheel, and Dakota digital. check out that phone. add your engine and tranny. unrestored and untouched so it can be documented and returned to its original glory. Again, there is no other in the world.

However dated or gaudy it may seem at present; it is still an amazing piece of work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

However dated or gaudy it may seem at present; it is still an amazing piece of work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought the same thing, EXCEPT for the cheezy dash board and steering wheel.

I'd like to know the story on the suspension.

I'd like to know the story on the suspension.

Likewise - some nice subframes - at both ends. They look to be castings - not built up. The rear components do look like Jag. the Front Upper Control Arm is nicely integrated with the R&P and coil overs.

Cool find. Kinda looks like they started with a 66 Birdcage and hood - everything else looks pretty much a MAKO.

Cheers - Jim

I dont have any links for the suspension, but just the looks of things on this car screams Buttera and Coddington's everything got to be billet era.
Just look at the wheels on the car, same as L'il Joohn used a lot.

Impressed by the suspension. It's just me...when I look into the interior of a car like this, I want to see a stone stock mint interior. Anyhow, I think this car needs a loving home that will continue to upgrade it.

Really Curious - What did it sell for -- or is it still "around?" It is off RJ. Any details on its location from the earlier RJ advert?
Even as customized as it is - its a roller and would be a nice project. I'd loose the paint job and the steering wheel for sure. The Gullwings are a nice touch too.
Cheers - Jim

This is now my car. Did a trade deal a couple of months ago.
The car was built by Ernie Ball and the suspension was built by John Buttera. I spoke to Ernie a couple of times since I've owned the car. He sent me a few pics of it when it was done. He said it took 4 years to build at $180,000 price tag.
I've pretty much stripped the car. A new fiberglass dash going in all new wilwood brakes , painless wiring harness, Watson's street works billet switches and the list goes on.
Unfortunately the car was left outside for a few years and it took its toll on all the chrome and a few spots in the body.
Its being restored but with all modern updates. So of the 80,s stuff that was done was scary.thum_307652dde99eea726.jpg

Last edited:
Also the dash look much better when first done. It had Ashton Martin digital gauges and it even had a backup camera.
The car was just built for show so it was not street legal. No turn signals wipers things like that you need foe inspections.
The car only had to be able to drive for 5 miles. It was built for the ISCA shows and was rated #2 in the nation. Beat out by a Boyd Coddington car.