Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Paint, Body and Interior

Old 06-09-2016, 12:32 PM
United States | Knows just enough to be dangerous!

My Photos: (105)

+1
1971 Can-Am, 502 Ramjet, CC Rollers, hookers, 14 pt cage, Lakewood, McLeod RST DD, ROD 6 trans, 3.08 rear, Wilwood brakes, Hydraboost, Steeroids, Tubular A-arms, QA1 DA and Viking DA shocks, VanSteel HD offset TA's w/Johnny Joints, 6 link, 3" tele halfshafts, modded dragvette loops, 16 gallon fuel cell, basset wheels 15x10x4 with nitto 555r 275/50VR15, 15x12x4.5 with nitto 555r 325/50VR15's, Ultrashield seats, SW Clocks, 16" spal fan, Jones Racing RTP, FIA lights, Mirrors, Action...
Old 06-09-2016, 12:41 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvetracr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvetracr View Post
where are you located?
That's pretty cool pic you have there. Those kinds of cars I would think could benefit from our carbon parts.

I`m sure you have the best of intentions and I know Carbon Fiber is very costly but my lightweight fiberglass hood (24lbs) was built from my mold by 5 Star stock car bodies in Wisconsin for $160 and it is the nicest piece of fiberglass I have ever seen.
Fiberglass isn't a bad option. It just won't hold up over time like Carbon Fiber will. For your hood to be 24 lbs, it's not likely as structurally strong as the stock hoods. A CF one would be stronger and only 12 lbs.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (45)

Dash and door panels might be profitable in cf. The oem ones are cheaply made, wear out, are expensive, and heavy.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM
United States | Addict

I'm hoping to get some more info by the 28th of this month. I will be meeting with the group that will build my parts for about a week (not just for parts though). I'll keep you all posted with what I come up with.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:14 PM
United States | Addict

As of right now, it looks like what we will start making first will be the one piece carbon T-top. Hoods will come, but I will wait until there are some request numbers on a particular style before plunging into that category.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 PM
United States | Addict

There is also thoughts of making a carbon hard top. Would this be of interest to anyone?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:37 PM
United States | Addict

I'm moving forward with making a carbon convertible hard top for my car. I'll post more info and pictures as it comes along.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 AM
United States | Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I picked up an old aftermarket HT and was surprised at how light it is compared to others. If you are making a light weight version too, have a look at this mounting scheme. Basically 4 bolts hold on the top.

That is the front, the back is similar.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:22 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I picked up an old aftermarket HT and was surprised at how light it is compared to others. If you are making a light weight version too, have a look at this mounting scheme. Basically 4 bolts hold on the top.

Isn't that basically how the originals hooked on? Not bolts but latches in the rear and front. What would be more beneficial with the bolts? Wouldn't they be hard to latch well from under the rear hatch?
Old 11-05-2016, 02:14 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post

Isn't that basically how the originals hooked on? Not bolts but latches in the rear and front. What would be more beneficial with the bolts? Wouldn't they be hard to latch well from under the rear hatch?
The bolts appear to attach vertically. So instead of all the clamps, bolts, and brackets, you have 4 bolts. probably a few lbs difference. If the cf top is for looks it wouldn't be a big deal. If you are doing a lightweight top this would be the lightest way.