To 200 4R or not.

[ I need to replace the Teflon sealing rings on the input shaft. One on them is a solid ring. Will it really stretch that much? Afterwards the manual shows useing a resizing tool what do I do to get around this?

Tomorrow it's pump time!

To resize the teflon seal I cut a piece plastic out of a coke bottle. Just enough to wrap around the shaft. Then put a hose clamp around it, and let it sit for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Tim and others say to use vaseline to hold it in place when you slip it all home....

hummmm, so to stay on topic, I have used tan wheel bearing grease on those rings, never had a issue with it....I have done the same with the little check balls in the valve body, upside down and backwards, balancing on my head with ATF dripping into my nose, and sliding down my pants....

wrestled that A518 Dodge tranny back into position just now.....hell of a battle, converter, and the block freeze plugs...but it works, I hope....friggin DODGE..:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

I HOPE you read part of that ATSG guide where it talks of two identical 5" diameter lip seals, and then ONE that is same diameter but the lip is a bit different shaped.....very confusing, and have to look close to see it....would be nice to have made it pink or something so it stoood OUT from the other two, just to shout, I"m different or something....I had to pull my unit down to check that point as being overlooked, cost me 4 hours time....:banghead::gurney:

Thanks for the warning. I tryed to be careful. I could still read the part numbers on the old seals. The kit I got has the same part numbers on the new seals except for one so far. I selected what I thought was the correct seal and then compared numbers. Only once was the number different and it was completely different. I think I am OK up to this point.

Didn't make it to the garage today. Grandson had an appointment in Evansville at 10:00 AM with an oral surgeon thought I should go thinking be home by 12 or 1:00. Wife and daughter also went. Got home around 3:30. After making some necessary stops, little shopping, being looked down on by the Pharmacist (what with the raised floor behind the counter?), and almost run over twice by the same professional CDL driver my nerves were somewhat shot. I guess I'm getting old just can't seem to handle life like I use to.

You supposed to beep merrily and PASS his ass.....

I remember school bus driver training, then running a route.....forget it....

one of them little lawsuits in waiting run under the bus and I get sued, and the local school system would not back me up....I specifically asked that question in training class they ALL waffled on the answer, and acted uncomfortable for the asking.....so I took it as a NO, thought maybe it's not that bad...yes it WAS.....got my CDL, but never used it...

A lot has happened since I last posted. The transmission rebuild is almost done. Need to install the filter, drain plug in the pan, and install the pan. I could have finished yesterday but wanted to stop and think about what I may have missed before I button it up.

I must say I have learned a lot. This is a project that most could do. It takes a lot of help from your forum friends. Without their help this project would have been a lot harder and more stressful. The final outcome (will it work) would have been much more in the dark than it is. I know I have received and followed top notch advice. Thanks guys

I got some pictures back (film not digital) and still have some more in the camera that I will share with you in the future.

IMG020.jpg

I used 2X4s bolted together and to the work bench with a front leg made out of a broken shovel handle to make a way to hold the transmission vertically. Worked great for me. I used the heavy shipping paper my parts came in to cover the wooden work bench. This gave me a clean work surface. Needed to change often (oil).

IMG019.jpg

This shows the yoke (my output shaft support tool) wired to the tail to support the output shaft.

IMG016.jpg

IMG017.jpg

I used my drill press along with a broken mortising tool to compress the retainer and spring assembly into the forward clutch housing so I could install the lock ring.

IMG018.jpg

This is the forward clutch housing assembly complete.

IMG021.jpg

This is the forward clutch housing installed in the direct clutch housing. An example of how after rebuilding a part of the transmission I would put it in a clean plastic bag to keep it clean until I installed it.

IMG023.jpg

Overrun clutch and 4th clutch parts layed out in the order they came apart.

Last edited:
Looks to me like you're about on the road.

The idea of using vaseline or trans assembly lube instead of wheel bearing grease is that most wheel bearing grease has fiber(s) in it. It'll wash out and get into a valve and make it stick. Not all grease has the fibers, but you have to be really careful. That's the reason I use vaseline or assembly lube for automatics.'