Ford IRS retro fit

Spline count and CV

What is the spline count on the Viper units? Also what are you guys using for the outer shafts if using CVs? The C3 version is a pencil!

PCF Mark

The 3 GEN Viper stub shafts are 30 spline on the outside, BB Shark counted 32 on the carrier end. I purchased splined flanges for the 930 CV (934 not avail) from "The Drive Shaft Shop" and made a 1/2" thick adapter flange for the 934 CV. Big 33 spline axles from Dutchman and 934, 33 spline outer stub at the wheel hub. Used C5 hub that was drilled and re-splined for the larger 33 micro stub that is avail at most serious off road companies. The 934 CV is very strong and you will not brake it very easy.

Can you post a few picture of this? I have never seen a Viper rear or any of the suspension bits and it sounds like it has some different pieces than the Vette D44 I am used to working with.

Thanks if you can!

Can you post a few picture of this? I have never seen a Viper rear or any of the suspension bits and it sounds like it has some different pieces than the Vette D44 I am used to working with.

Thanks if you can!

PCF Mark,
Go to http://streetshopinc.com/c4shark.html and under the C5-6 frames, you will find pics of almost the same set up, Viper D44 with 930 CV (not the 934) 930 just smaller and narrowed frame rails with C5 control arms. They use a custom rear cover on the back of the D44 but I found you can use the original cover with a small notch in the rails for clearance.:shocking: You do not have to go with the narrowed rails, but it makes upper control arms much easier, you will have to cut out the rear buckets and raise the rear floor about 4 inches and re-glass it back into its new location. This is for clearance of the narrowed rails.GOOD TIMES!!

I saw this Currie unit the other day. Looks like it would allow a "Blackstone" type rear to be made by adding a spring perch on the back.

ce-4305b.jpg[/QUOTE]

"Housing uses a modified version of our F9 Fabricated housing and includes 3rd. member studs, fill cap, drain plug, and vent installed. Axles accept 934 CV's, are constructed of 4340 material, and are machined and heat treated. Axle bearings and retaining hardware is included. Specify when ordering if this unit will be used standard or upside down! Housings can accept 10" ring gears with some minor trimming to the 3rd. member mounting face. Unit width is 14 1/2" from axle face to axle face, and just the bare housing is 11 3/8"."

If you're gutting a Mk. VIII, don't forget to grab the fan off the radiator. One of the most powerful electric cooling fans you'll find anywhere.

I got an email back from Currie, with the material spec. They weren't interested in making custom axles, suggesting to put cv joints on the half shaft. But, that would mean two cv joints per half shaft. I might order a bare housing, as I have an old center section for mock up.

I'll post the spec later. It is a cold worked carbon steel.

High Form 50 steel

From their website:

Housings and covers are formed from high tensile (High Form 50/Spec A715) steel. This material is 39.9% stronger than conventional 1010 low carbon steel and used in all Track 9 products, except the Chromoly (92940) and Stainless Steel (92960).

There is a weld spec, but I haven't gotten it yet.