No start AGAIN!!!

GT6Steve

There's some gremlin in the 81's ignition circuit that I can't yet find. While dicking with the wires from the column to fix a right turn signal problem I've killed the ignition again! It cranks fine just won't fire. The big pink wire from the switch is hot, i don't know yet....

So the question, where can I apply a straight twelve volts to the HEI to hot wire the thing and get it in the garage?

BTW, I have 12 volts at the big brown wire to the distributor as well...

There's some gremlin in the 81's ignition circuit that I can't yet find. While dicking with the wires from the column to fix a right turn signal problem I've killed the ignition again! It cranks fine just won't fire. The big pink wire from the switch is hot, i don't know yet....

So the question, where can I apply a straight twelve volts to the HEI to hot wire the thing and get it in the garage?

BTW, I have 12 volts at the big brown wire to the distributor as well...

right from the red wire on alternator

Yes, Pink wire should be hot 12 in start/crank, and run...obviously....if not, you have a issue with the key switch on top of the steering column or maybe it's position is outta adjustment....there are good posts here as well as complete column assy diagrams in the archives...do some searches....all courtesy of Jim Shea.....

:drink:

and yes what said above.....

But which wire at the HEI must I power up to bypass all the ignition switch wiring? I don't wanna steal the thing, just get it out of the rain....:confused:

But which wire at the HEI must I power up to bypass all the ignition switch wiring? I don't wanna steal the thing, just get it out of the rain....:confused:

The large red wire on back of alternator. run jumper from that to the large red wire on the distributor

Last edited:
If you have power at the big wire on the distributor - you've probably got an issue with the HEI module.

Still, to test you can pull the larger of the wires off the HEI, run a jumper to the alternator and it should start right up

To add another one... I had the same problem and it turned out to be the neutral safety switch circuit. The plug under the console had become disconnected so it wouldn't crank unless I had the shift lever in third gear. It also connects to the switch up on the clutch lever if you have a stick.

Run a jumper from the alternator output stud to the BAT terminal on the HEI. If it won't start with that hook a 12v test light from the TACH terminal to ground and crank. The light will flash if the module and pickup coil are good.