another 79

MYBAD79

just bought another 79, was a good deal so I couldn't say no.... not sure what to do with it yet, might just fix it up and flip it.... using many parts that came off my blue 79....

OK, so here we go, finally back into wrenching on C3s ... good stuff.... this came from AL and was delivered two weeks ago.

215eebaf2d7811b.jpg
215eebaf2d33b8d.jpg
215eebaf2dbef5b.jpg
215eebaf2e09c44.jpg
disassembly started
215eebaf2e51039.jpg
well..... FlexSeal tape is not fixing THAT..... LOL

215eebaf2c1b1e0.jpg
and apparently a rod cap is missing from this engine....LOL

215eebaf2ca0efc.jpg
Hood is already stripped/primed/painted and put aside for re-assembly
215eebaf2c5c0e2.jpg
T-tops painted as well....
215eebaf2ce32af.jpg

So here's the plan: definitely needs paint, that's no problem, over the years I got pretty good at that. I still have the engine that came out of my blue 79 so that's an easy fix.
I'll go over the suspension and brakes (already have a set of O-ring calipers that came off my blue 79).
Interior is in very good shape, no frame rust, all original, even the ball joints are still riveted on the upper arms. Seems to have low miles (shows 84K) and that may be correct given the condition of interior - even the wheel bearings seem fine and the side yokes seem tight in the diff too, not much play....

This is the first time I'm going back to as close to original as possible, this one is completely unmolested.

Last edited:
updated with a few photos. Not exactly sure how this is going to work out, by the time it runs and drives, fresh paint etc I might not want to sell it :bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

updated with a few photos. Not exactly sure how this is going to work out, by the time it runs and drives, fresh paint etc I might not want to sell it :bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

what is this word "sell?" I'm certain I've never heard of it... sounds like a disease.... is there a cure?

some updates... this thing came apart very easy, no major rust except the driver side trailing arm bolt had to be cut....

215f08a3235d64f.jpg
215f08a3237f137.jpg
215f08a43b50799.jpg
215f08a43b67413.jpg
215f08a3237f137.jpg
safety first.... won't get Covid with this outfit ....just not great on a 95F day in FL....

215f08a32414649.jpg

215f08a43b7cbd5.jpg
215f08a323b5da7.jpg
215f08a323a1b79.jpg
215f08a323cb199.jpg
215f08a323dfc59.jpg
215f08a32400133.jpg
engine is ready.... this is a spare I had sitting in my shop.... mostly stock L82 with flat tops and a Edelbrock cam....
215f08a3242adb6.jpg
Diff need new side yokes and seals..... the usual...

215f08a324405d5.jpg

Good to work on a Vette again.... brings back memories (bad ones) when I rebuilt my other 79 15 years ago..... LOL

Here we go again :clap:
Can't figure out from the pics if the car is bare fiberglass or has a tired silver paint.

Can't figure out from the pics if the car is bare fiberglass or has a tired silver paint.

Hi there, long time no talk....

Yeah, it's really bad silver paint..... but at least I'm not dealing with a crappy re-paint. This will be an easy sand it down, epoxy, primer, paint.... no body damage whatsoever .... I think this car has been sitting somewhere in a barn for 25 years, everything I found so far is original, down to the riveted brake rotors and upper ball joints... the brake calipers were dry, the old fluid turned into some sort of powder..... the tires were dry rotted and came apart but obviously that happened while it was sitting as there is no body damage.... interior is like hello, we're back in 1979.... it's like a museum :smash::smash::smash::smash:

Hi there, long time no talk....

Yeah, it's really bad silver paint..... but at least I'm not dealing with a crappy re-paint. This will be an easy sand it down, epoxy, primer, paint.... no body damage whatsoever .... I think this car has been sitting somewhere in a barn for 25 years, everything I found so far is original, down to the riveted brake rotors and upper ball joints... the brake calipers were dry, the old fluid turned into some sort of powder..... the tires were dry rotted and came apart but obviously that happened while it was sitting as there is no body damage.... interior is like hello, we're back in 1979.... it's like a museum :smash::smash::smash::smash:
That's a restoration dream, a car that seems to have been shielded from water and sun.