1980 C3 master cylinder on a 63?

BangkokDean

I have a good master cylinder from my old 1980 C3 and want to replace the single master on my 63. The C3 has duel reservoir one is big and one is small. so which should go to the front breaks and which goes to the rear?

yes, the big/small ones are for disc drum systems usually like on F bodies etc

Corvette master cylinders have both reservoirs the same size, right?

1511.jpg

Yes that is what I have. Now I want to use it to replace my single reservoir MC,
The car currently has drums on 4 wheels but I want to add disc brakes to the fronts later. So the MC basically has both reservoirs close to the same size, which side do I use for the fronts and which to the rears for all drums now then front discs later?

That MC will only be appropriate if you're switching to the '65(?) and later disc brake system.

I had used a similar MC on my 56 truck that has front discs and rear drums and it works good. I need to replace the current single MC on the 63 and in the future will convert the fonts to discs but not right away. Was hoping to use the MC I currently have to save from having to order two different MC's.

This is the truck MC

Last edited:
Not sure it matters, but on my Vette, The front reservoir is for the front brakes and the rear reservoir is for the rear brakes. I think disc brakes require a larger reservoir. That's why the disc/drum combo has different sized reservoirs in the master cylinder.

I guess I will have to try the MC I have and see if it works.

The bowl sizes are basically the same but the bore sizes on the shaft I think are different so I believe the pressure out will be different also?

I bet that 63 MC has a 7/8 bore, the 80 MC a 1-1/8 bore, expect a rock hard pedal without a power brake booster.