Tach Drive HEI Distributor Recommendations

........., sometimes they do turn to shit before they die. (Like when they are new):quote: LOL

Where's the polite "I agree" icon?

In 1974, I converted my '69 to electronic ignition using a Hays Magna-Pulse system. It had a magnetic pickup for the distributor, and the usual potted up box with an internal PC board. The car ran fine for about eight years, until it started to misfire under higher RPM loads. Starting and normal driving was fine. I took it (the distributor and box) into work one day and hooked them up on the bench. The oscilloscope showed that the module had a problem. The module had a slow gradual failure curve to it. It wasn't a sudden failure.

When I visited SD Paul a few years back, he had a variation in idle speed. We both thought it was a vacuum leak, but turned out to be the POS ignition box. New box, idled perfect.

Well, it finally left me stranded. Had to have it flat bedded home. No charge thanks to Hagerty Ins. Turns out it was a bad ground on the box. I moved the ground wire to the frame and it fired right up. So I have no one else to blame but myself. I picked a bad ground location when I did the install. That was about 5 or 6 years ago. Crazy that it just showed up now.

Tach Drive Dist.

I picked up one of the 'cheap' billet tach drive HEI's off of eBay and have been very happy with it. I've probably only got about 2000 miles on it, but the fit and finish looks great and the price was around $100.

Shawn