HEI Distributor Rebuild

Maymyvetteliveforever

75" has been sitting for 20 years, last started 3 years ago and I want to rebuilt the distributor. I'm from Canada and will be visiting the States next week and want to order some parts from Advance Auto since it's withing walking distance to the hotel.
Question, where do I find a write up with "Parts order list" so that I can ask the counter person what I need to do this rebuild such as:
Distributor gasket
Shaft bearings
Mechanical advance springs
etc.....

Advance will not have what you need. Paragon will.
1)Get a new GM Performance HEI from Summit for $180, and come out ahead.

2)Get a new MSD Streetfire, $180, and come out ahead.

3)Send it to me for rebuild and calibration. (Probably more $$ with parts)

Either way you go, you will need 2 gold springs from a Mr Gasket 928G kit, and a new vacuum advance to match your engine vacuum.

Agree with bird, sometimes it's just more economical money & time wise to buy new.

Thanks for the advice guys, since I'm the original owner of the car, I'd like to keep the original distributor also. The car has just under 50,000 miles so I think the distributor is in fairy good shape therefore I figured the stock one has potention. As for having you (big2bird) rebuilt it, that's a nice offer except we have this whole duty/brokerage fees along with higher shipping cost to cross the board which which makes it a real pain in the ass therfore not cost effective.Hence the reason for taking advantage of parts stores while I'm visiting the U. S. Of A. next week.
I will however keep in mind the first part # given which is "2 gold springs from a Mr Gasket 928G kit, and a new vacuum advance to match your engine vacuum." When you say vacuum advance to match your engine vacuum, are you talking about the adjustable advance or is there a specific brand/part # I should request?

EDIT:
I just called Advance and they told me they only have a listing re Mr. Gasket for a 75' of;

Mr. Gasket ADVANCE CURVE HP
Part No. 929G
HEI Advance Curve Kit; w/o Engine Computer; Race Only
$9.49

Last edited:
928G. Use the two gold springs. Do NOT listen to the pimple face kids.

Paragon is your best bet for shafts/bushings/etc.

As for the vacuum advance, let me know your idle vacuum, and Lars or I will give you a part number. Advance CAN order it from Standard Motor Products.

A few points regarding the HEI rebuild:

Unless you have noticable lateral slop in the lower shaft bushing, don't waste your time replacing the bushings. If the bushing is so damaged that it needs to be replaced, you are also going to need to replace the shaft. I doubt this is the case - I have never seen a stock HEI that needed these parts replaced. If you have to replace them, get the parts from Paragon and get the bushing installation tool from MidAmerica.

Just do a good cleanup of the shaft and advance mechanism after disassembly. The biggest problem with the HEI is that the advance mechanism seizes up over time. Once you free it up, clean it up, lube it, and slap it back together.

Shim the shaft endplay to about .015" using Moroso part number 26140 (from Summit under part number MOR-26140).

Get Mr. Gasket part number 928G (from Summit under part number MRG-928G) and use the 2 gold springs.

Get NAPA part number VC1838 vacuum advance control unit (aka AR12). If your engine pulls numerically less than 12 inches of vacuum in "drive," use part number VC1703 and hook up your vacuum advance to manifold vacuum after setting the timing as outlined in my timing papers.

Lars