expensive wreck

1Michel

Not sure how to post those pics but this wreck seems like an expensive one.

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=46317466bf0717050061dr0.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4640/463176342tb4.jpg

where I found those pics the guy had a bit of history on the black number 71, 64 convertible

Generation: C2
Year: 1964
VIN: 40867S106991
Race Numbers: 18, 78, 71
Ownership: Babe Headley; Sam Feinstein; G. Fitzpatrick; Ed Lowther; Chuck __??__; John Danos (bought at auction); Tery Michaelis (flipped from John); Bill Morrison; Doc Garrett; Todd Oseid; Jerry Golnick
Sponsors:
Drivers: Babe Headley; G. Fitzpatrick; Ed Lowther; Chuck __??__; Bill Morrison; Doc Garrett; Todd Oseid; Jerry Golnick
Status: Vintage raced in SVRA at Sebring, Watkins Glen, Willow Spirngs, Miller Motorsport Park, and Road America. Car is for sale

Original Color: saddle tan
Tires/Wheels: P91 blackwall 6.70 x 15 from factory
Engine: L84 - 327/375 f.i.
Driveline: M20 4-speed
Top: none
Interior: Car has been modified over the years to the point that it is now in full race format with only a driver seat and cage. Stock appearing dash with modern instrumentation and controls.
Condition: This car is in pristine condition. It was re-built after the July '05 multi-car wreck at start of Road America Elkhart Lake. See additional photos at web site: http://picasaweb.google.com/vintageracermeister
Unique Characteristics: SCCA log book 031-213 SVRA Group 6 Medallion
Modifications: After the 2005 crash at Road America, the car was again restored by Curt Geatches, former Director of Engineering for the Nissan GTP program. The quality of Curt?s work is evident in the photos. Visible are extensive tubing additions for the period-style cage, updated electrical systems, aluminum body panels, dry sump lubrication, suspension and steering system updates, and full safety provisions for SCCA Group 6.
Notes/Race History: Babe Headley raced this car from 1972 through to mid-1975 as both # 18 and # 78. Sam Feinstein was his crew chief and occasional driver. In 1975 Feinstein and Headley had a falling-out and Sam took the car. Sam sold the car to G. Fitzpatrick who painted it in Nassau Blue and numbered it as # 22. Fitzpatrick crashed the car, in the rain, at Pocono in late 1975. The car then sat in his shop for several months. In the spring of 1976, Ed Lowther picked-up the car and painted it in yellow with black geometric shapes on the front end (it is believed). Ed raced the car as # 78, with his son, in both SCCA Regional/national races and USRRC. The car remained a small block and was often referred to as the ?Mighty Mouse? due to its power output. Ed?s mechanic, Jim Locke, was credited for this aspect. In 1980 Ed sold the sold to Chuck __?__, who lived in Arkansas. Details have been lost. The car re-surfaced at an auction where it was purchased (as part of a package deal) by John Danos. As Danos dealt only in stock cars, he sold this car and another race car to Terry Michaelis (later Pro-Team). Terry sold the car to Bill Morrison, another well-known SCCA racer. Bill held onto the car for 2-3 years and then sold it to ?Doc? Garrett. At this pint the car was given a body-off restoration by Doc?s team. Most of the work was performed by Billy Keiff, a well-known race car preparer. Billy went through the car completely and added some special fiberglass pieces along with some flaring of the fenders. At this point the car was painted black with a wide red racing stripe. ?Doc? Garrett did the necessary research to submit the car for an SVRA ?Medallion? Award. This award (#6-0205) is awarded to cars that have verifiable race history back to, at least, 1972. The car was then sold to Todd Oseid, who was both a former Corvette and Mclaren (Can-AM) driver. In 1997 Todd sold the car to Jerry Golnick. Jerry raced the car in the Mid-West. After the 2005 crash at Road America, the car was again restored by Curt Geatches, former Director of Engineering for the Nissan GTP program. The quality of Curt?s work is evident in the photos Jerry is now offering the car for sale.

Last edited:
most of the 18 involved cars in this 2005 wreck were "historic" cars to some degree, meaning they had been raced prior to 1973. That black Camaro is an ex SCCA Trans-Am "brass tag" car purchased from Reggie Jackson (probably for big money), while the red coupe was a street car with zero race history as was the Bud Moore clone Mustang. Happily almost every car from this crash has been resurrected. More pics available here http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005 ....I might add under that white Pontiac Trans-Am IS a yellow Corvette roadster....you might not see it but trust me it`s there.... Luckily you won`t find a pic of my car, while I was on the track I had qualified third, this started at about 8th place. my sig pic below is from the pace lap....
redvetracr

Last edited:
redvetracr,

Did anyone get seriously injured? I see received neck braces, or was that precautionary?

Hope everyone healed up all right.
Jason

Hello, I am Babe Headley's wife (Sharon) and Babe raced that car from 1972 to 1979. Sam Fienstien was fellow racer with his own car. Sam who is/was a very good driver never raced Babe's corvette. Please when you post something try and get the correct information. Babe died Oct, 2007 and I do not appreciate when wrong information is posted about him. Babe stopped racing as we had moved to AZ and he did open his own business and with a young daughter now in school he did no longer had the time to travel for racing as his business and family required his time. When Babe stopped racing he did not have contact with his fellow racers but always had fond memories of them including Sam Fienstein.

Please when you post something try and get the correct information. Babe died Oct, 2007 and I do not appreciate when wrong information is posted about him..

Sharon,
please don`t shoot the messenger! I believe the above was taken word for word from the Corvette race car registry where it was most likely placed by the cars current owner (Jerry Gollnick) or from his internet (for sale) ad for the car. If you care to contact me via a PM I will put you in touch with one of the guys who runs the race car registry, that way you, Jerry and the registry can sort out the cars competition history.....Howard N.

This was added to YouTube this year.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzf9pM5S-vU[/ame]

Lots in car footage. Same wreck?