I have never used a torque wrench on any of the bolts on the whole chassis

i'll challenge anyone here. We'll drive our cars side by side 600 miles to a HPDE, beat the shit out of them for 2 days then drive back 600 miles. If neither brakes down we go to the next track event.....and so on.

detail that

:surrender: Your's is bigger than mine!! All better now?

I've done my share of racing, collected the trophy's, concussions, broken bones, and 1099's. I'm done. If you want to play boy racer go ahead you don't need me to do that. Work on your skills, I'm all for it. I often do on 2 wheels, and may have a go at it in my car. I just dont know what your challenge proves.

I wasn't really looking for a pissing match, mearly trying to give sound and safe advice.

We should all cut up our torque wrenches. Lets start with the ATP's who maintain the fleet of aircraft. Oh, then we may as well not use them on School Busses and OTR trucks and trains and then drive them around to see which one fails first. Oh Oh I know I should just tighten the lugs in the 12,500 to 480 electrical substation snug and it shoud be ok... :confused:

:bounce::bounce:

you might consider using a torque wrench on your wheels, them staying on might be kinds important....I torque mine religiously just before I put on the suit and head out on the track....
redvetracr

you might consider using a torque wrench on your wheels, them staying on might be kinds important....I torque mine religiously just before I put on the suit and head out on the track....
redvetracr

hopefully i'm in tune enough with my car that i'd feel something like that way way before the wheel falls off. I do a quick check after every session.....no torque wrench just to make sure they're tight.

redvetracr

One of my wheels was actually loose one time :shocking:

What do I torque steel wheels to?

hopefully i'm in tune enough with my car that i'd feel something like that way way before the wheel falls off. I do a quick check after every session.....no torque wrench just to make sure they're tight.

It's the after part I dont get. Why not before?

:confused:

i think someone who has worked on cars for years knows how tight is tight enough without a torque wrench for most things other than what i mentioned above.

I think someone who has worked on cars for years uses a torque wrench.:bonkers:

There is anal retentive, and then there is just plain anal.

I think torquing wheel nuts is important. It helps keeping the rotor run out true, if anyone has had c2-3 disc brake problems with run out pumping air into the calipers, they will attest that those problems are REALLY nice to avoid. The newer cars are quite adamant that wheels need to be torqued. I think the newer cars are less heavy duty and therefore susceptible to warping from over torquing. I have a 75lb "torque stick" [extension] that I use on my impact for all wheels now.
Of course I torque all internal engine fasteners.