continued on the back undershelf
yLmxPG7h.jpg
6q0CpDWh.jpg
and worked on the upper radiator mount
CIyVZWth.jpg
QJadBd1h.jpg
now to weld and bolt it in place
CAUfwPah.jpg

I plan on gluing it all down when it's done... rivets and epoxy.

More Covette
so the old shelf was this size
8fNLfmAh.jpg
still haven't decided whether I'll just fiberglass these boards or make aluminum.... tomorrow's decision
avkKHvXh.jpg
radiator mount
I9704aoh.jpg

Lots of cool work being done there! Just a quick question - how is the timeline looking for making your "planned" event? Have they slipped the entire schedule/reset - or?

Keep on pressing - looking great!

Cheers - Jim

Lots of cool work being done there! Just a quick question - how is the timeline looking for making your "planned" event? Have they slipped the entire schedule/reset - or?

Keep on pressing - looking great!

Cheers - Jim

weather is the biggest issue, I need 50 degrees in my shop to do any body material .... it's supposed to be at least 60 degrees during the day but it's been struggling to get to 50 (and may snow Friday night).. but we will see. Likely tomorrow night I'll start finishing the inner wheel wells. Next week is predicted 60s

That said, work has slowed down but it's not insignificant (I work for myself and have employees)...

Last edited:
now it's getting somewhere... not sure where, but some. where
DsVu9wfh.jpg
jxCyAtvh.jpg
now a full dry fit
VfWKTt6h.jpg

JiIcDbAh.jpg

hood latches
t2fBvdyh.jpg
easiest way to find the bottom of the hole
Q5dCLAkh.jpg

and then
6jsgTTRh.jpg

success, red thingy in the hole
rAnGylqh.jpg

hood line up... what a pain
k0VTgAnh.jpg
with a shim, I got one side pretty close, still need to do some kind of block on the other side
EXiG2yth.jpg
OhriIEah.jpg
u3jv1VIh.jpg

not quite done with the radiator... now I need to block all the ways air can bypass the radiator.edited If I don't, it will overheat
​​​​​​​pvzRNgTh.jpg

One benefit of the relatively low cost of c3's, is the cutting them up for making mods. :) :thumbs:

This will be a blast to drive, I'm sure.

With the gym closed and home projects getting done, it is time for me to get my junkers running.

Last edited:
One benefit of the relatively low cost of c3's, is the cutting them up for making mods. :) :thumbs:

This will be a blast to drive, I'm sure.

With the gym closed and home projects getting done, it is time for me to get my junkers running.

I don't think, at least in my lifetime, anyone is going to complain about this car getting cut up.. sure, it was a 4 speed car - but with a bent frame, so even the notable bit was garbage...

about the gym, I'm feeling pudgy - it's been nearly a month since they closed them here...

the bent edges... there could be another bend or two before this is done
HFowHBSh.jpg

back apart to clean the edges for gluing, screwing and riveting
CMGhNTjh.jpg
and removal of unneeded pieces
ZNMX974h.jpg

best way to remove undercoating.... irony is I'll reapply sound deadener once this is all together
RBw9mABh.jpg
4jyGBCHh.jpg

goes here, notice also the undercoating is gone
YGqpHY2h.jpg

ugh
6nDZHdXh.jpg
r6PibNjh.jpg

inner fenders (or how to make flat metal curvy)
dxEGy6vh.jpg

but it looks better in the end
adaxSqvh.jpg

other than a bunch of dirt, it doesn't look like I did much of anything... and for the record, the left front had far less coating...
​​​​​​​4ZTSwGmh.jpg

make it pretty, waiting on rivets, otherwise I'd have glued this down tonight
​​​​​​​DpZhchYh.jpg
time to fill the last hole
n0NNfV6h.jpg
0VcmmuJh.jpg
layout
UtJ9uuNh.jpg
getting close
oXxodE8h.jpg

upper radiator block
first fit
9zeMKBnh.jpg
close
CKV2Hubh.jpg
xokLID0h.jpg

More aluminum work
a9OKqNDh.jpg

then cad work
Ey9u7TQh.jpg
20j4fZHh.jpg

chop chop
Ixt34pQh.jpg

then aluminum
LIZAzzuh.jpg
wBVDZFbh.jpg

back to the radiator
SsxO5svh.jpg
who knew I would get excited when rivets arrived
YE4OWZ5h.jpg

CAD overs
​​​​​​​N5A7etCh.jpg

In news, I ordered different accessory brackets for the motor.edited I need to move the power steering pump up to clear the rack, then it interferes with the alternator... so I'll move it to the other side... hopefully that stuff arrives next week.
Onward
air cleaners... I sure have a bunch of options... and another on its way.. i really, really, really don't want to cut on the hood... and I think I can get away without it... crossing fingers
WbFditSh.jpg

radiator
first step is rebuilding the bracket
mZZT1Vuh.jpg
then melting stuff
vs9CDHth.jpg
then more welding
f3VC7m4h.jpg
nM7XetQh.jpg
and more test fitting
PscHiGth.jpg
rjPYA94h.jpg
closer
X6IFEvCh.jpg
now bolted in place... still need to do something about the ends to make them pretty, but it's functional now
U6VDFi4h.jpg

hood pins
the line (dark) is where the pin needs to be
NvQ0yQoh.jpg
now it is
l2BhWFlh.jpg
HSzk1WVh.jpg
other side
9slE7P1h.jpg
KwcQtqMh.jpg

need to finish that up... it's becoming warm enough that I may be able to glue panels in place tomorrow... once that dries then epoxy the holes up... the coat the floor with sound deadener...edited

of course what that means is I start body work and wiring... I would love to outsource the bodywork;... but where's the fun in that?

today was mostly cleaning the shop and reorganizing.edited The next step for both the Corvette and the Buick is bodywork so I opened up some floor space
x8l9X1Kh.jpg
but onto the car first, resolving the power steering issue (I didn't)
Rd47NHFh.jpg

then I took some thinking time on my dirtbike
vYeMeBRh.jpg
then got these for free, yes, downhill is in my future
NuEUzKrh.jpg
I guess I own 2 Jeeps now, I think I overpaid
pulley install starter pack
uOTDNElh.jpg
3NGqz3Kh.jpg
then I found the right pulley - too bad the pump is too small for what I'm doing
68fyV05h.jpg
back to the pump
9Yu2qTwh.jpg
the problem is the pump is about 1/4" forward - and there is no room to go back...
jPW5j4Kh.jpg

I still need to resolve the alternator issue but that is for another day

let's start with the air cleaner
this is what's hitting
VIGlAxhh.jpg
had to dig in my fitting bone pile for a 90* elbow
2aeygBdh.jpg
fixed
6p1CT7Dh.jpg
hc166Hph.jpg
still need to buy a filtered top.. what I have is too think and too cheesy
epoxy time
BKWKGFnh.jpg
cut a bunch of strips
X5ROSaqh.jpg
then start plying them on there
lRZ8I5Th.jpg
and inner fenders the aluminum is meant as a backing.edited I could have used wood, but that would require coating both sides.
irIj5zph.jpg
starting to refine my technique on this side
VIJlNk7h.jpg
somewhere I read that using glass to coat the strips would help. It does
5fjkO62h.jpg
the steps.... first dump some resin on the glass then put glass strips on the glass
52DhZ1Ah.jpg
let it soak (maybe 30 seconds max)
Qt1pxIUh.jpg
flip it over
cgQsx1Bh.jpg
then stick it in place
xGDKsKah.jpg

it's a messy task, but once you stick it up, let it adhere for a bit (push it onto the place), then come back a minute or two later and push it again to get the resin to come through.edited Tomorrow I should finish... tonight was hole-filling, so it was only one layer.... next lay up I'll do a couple more layers and that should hold it.edited The entire goal here is strength.edited I'm going to rubberize coat it so it will be unseen once done

I use glass often to make flat fiberglass parts. It helps to wax it - sounds weird - but it works. A couple of coats, buffed each.

If you have a piece that is curved - you can use plastic packing tape - leaves lines, but easily sanded out of your finished product. Another tape is silver refrigeration/H-Vac tape. Wax, wax (5 times is best) buffing between each. If you are going to make a complex part - like my fender flares, you'll want some PVA. here's a quick link to those products; http://www.uscomposites.com/moldrelease.html

Also have a few wedge shaped shims to help separate from your mold surface.

Hope you have gloves already - Harbor Freight is OUT!

I kind of run through the whole process here: http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=94 It coves the results of using different composite core materials as well as some of the fabricating details.

Keep on "Itchin' for Fun!"

Cheers - Jim

I use glass often to make flat fiberglass parts. It helps to wax it - sounds weird - but it works. A couple of coats, buffed each.

If you have a piece that is curved - you can use plastic packing tape - leaves lines, but easily sanded out of your finished product. Another tape is silver refrigeration/H-Vac tape. Wax, wax (5 times is best) buffing between each. If you are going to make a complex part - like my fender flares, you'll want some PVA. here's a quick link to those products; http://www.uscomposites.com/moldrelease.html

Also have a few wedge shaped shims to help separate from your mold surface.

Hope you have gloves already - Harbor Freight is OUT!

I kind of run through the whole process here: http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=94 It coves the results of using different composite core materials as well as some of the fabricating details.

Keep on "Itchin' for Fun!"

Cheers - Jim

very cool stuff - thank you for sharing it.

At this point, I'm just adhering the various parts - not making new pieces - but if I ever do this again, I'll use that to make molds and pieces... that would be much easier and have a far better result. ... so much information good information out there...

yesterday's work turned out fine...edited
TnJln89h.jpg
qA9poxZh.jpg
0lAv2gSh.jpg
today's work is going to have to be redone... that said, I get to play with filler and epoxy tomorrow so that should just great.

You just gave me an idea. The right front fender was replaced on my car and they cut off the inner fender splash shield flange. So now there is a gap. I was looking for some fiberglass "L" shape that I could bond in there but maybe some aluminum pieces would work as well?