Calling all Alfa and (Amazingly) Volvo enthusiasts!

BangkokDean

Calling all Alfa and (Amazingly) Volvo enthusiasts!

If anyone had told me that Alfa had built a 3 seater, CENTRAL STEERING, rear engined racer I would have asked them to lie down and called an ambulance. Really. But here you will see that (as usual) I was wrong!
What a SHAME it's not red!
alfa-aerodinamica-spider-920-44.jpg

I can only assume the design was stimulated by the pre-war Auto-Union racers, and the man also had a premonition of the 3 seat, central steering Bagheera and/or McLaren?!
After you've marveled at this (and why oh why do classics have to wear any more than ONE silly sticker or number any event??) PLEASE page down to 'There was an un-safe time... PV444/PV544'.
It was this Volvo that was instrumental in sparking my rally enthusiasm when Tom Trana (Norway) won Britain's RAC in one.

http://thethrottle.thechive.com/201...-alfa-romeo-aerodinamica-spider-44-hq-photos/

Just astounding body work...and also engine details. Was the body aluminum? I'd guess that pre-WWII, it was steel. Just astounding when you realize this was most certainly a hand built car.

Notice the passengers sat a little behind the driver. In the Mosquito fighter plane (reconnaissance mostly) the second guy sat a little behind the pilot, off to the side, like a passenger in this car.

Also, if you bought an Alpha-Romero 2 seater sports car in the early 60's and I think if you bought one up until a few years ago, they all looked alike. Not that many car designs are that consistent.