TPI wiring diagram

Speed density or maf?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

What is the difference?

Mass Air Flow has a sensor in the main air passage, a wire senses how much airflow is taking place, Speed density uses a computer chip with that calculation based on throttle position and engine rpm and manifold pressure.....I use speed density as most guys do with a shark TPI conversion.....simpler plumbing..

the TPI mechanicals are basically the same, except sometimes in the earlier TPI there was a 9th injector there in the base for Cold start, as I recall....

later on they just increased the pulse width on the main 8 injectors.....why the 9th injector..? I never understood.....

:hissyfit:

Last edited:
85 tpi was one year only

86-88 was mass air with 8th injector

89 was one year only mass air but no 9th injector

90-92 used map sensor instead of mass air

OK can you tell which one I have here by the pictures?
IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

More importantly, what ECU do you have? One with 2 or one with 3 plugs? A Speed Density ECU has 3, a yellow one for air bags is added.

More importantly, what ECU do you have? One with 2 or one with 3 plugs? A Speed Density ECU has 3, a yellow one for air bags is added.

That TPI is from a F body, there is no 9th injector, which is good in that you don't have to mess with it, looks like someone trimmed back the fuel inlet and return lines.....yes, the 1227730 ECU is the one I have....mounted up behind my map pocket on pass side, made a couple brackets to hang it from the lower w/s cowling.....hopefully you have a proper chip to run it, you need someone to burn a aftermarket program to ditch the anti theft key crap.....as well as what injector set you have, and idle speed because of which cam you have in there....

:cool:

AUJP = a 5.7L L98 Auto prom, that's a speed density setup.

You do know you will have to get a bin with VATS disabled right?

I should have the ARAP bin somewhere. Would be best to tweak the bin for the correct axle ratio too. What kind of injectors? Looks like painted multecs? I would change them right now, easiest to do with the engine out of the car. Get some modified Bosch IIIs from southbay. They are a day and night difference with those junk Multecs.

How did you plug the hole in the runner for the cold start injector? Have you also considered using a 7727 ecm that you can mount under the hood ?

How did you plug the hole in the runner for the cold start injector? Have you also considered using a 7727 ecm that you can mount under the hood ?

I dunno Jeff, heat is the enemy of electronics, I just as soon have it in the pass compartment.....much less it's not getting wet.....

no matter what the factory does....:hissyfit:

I dunno Jeff, heat is the enemy of electronics, I just as soon have it in the pass compartment.....much less it's not getting wet.....

no matter what the factory does....:hissyfit:

7727 is a 90-91 vette ecm it's under the hood and not a problem.

I should have the ARAP bin somewhere. Would be best to tweak the bin for the correct axle ratio too. What kind of injectors? Looks like painted multecs? I would change them right now, easiest to do with the engine out of the car. Get some modified Bosch IIIs from southbay. They are a day and night difference with those junk Multecs.

I am just wondering if someone could provide an English translation?

I bought the motor with the set up that should be all ready to run. It came with the sensors and new wiring loom. The injectors are Accel 23lb. This motor will be a DD so I was not looking for something to go racing. The engine builder sells these setups for mostly street rods and they are sold ready to run, What I need now it a wiring diagram in order to connect all the sensors correctly.

Maybe later after getting into this I will understand more than I currently do, which is very little.

Last edited:

I bought the motor with the set up that should be all ready to run. It came with the sensors and new wiring loom. The injectors are Accel 23lb. This motor will be a DD so I was not looking for something to go racing. The engine builder sells these setups for mostly street rods and they are sold ready to run, What I need now it a wiring diagram in order to connect all the sensors correctly.

Maybe later after getting into this I will understand more than I currently do, which is very little.

If TT/someone can't scan the wiring diagrams, I have a well worn copy from my car, wife can scan and send it along to you via email......mine are marked up a bit for MY car, but still useable for a stockish wiring harness....

The sensor wires are made so they only fit one sensor. it's easy to hookup TPI.

The sensor wires are made so they only fit one sensor. it's easy to hookup TPI.

With one exception, the incoming air temp sensor, and the water temp sensor....one is a yellow wire, the other is a orange wire, I fergit which is which though.....the connectors are the same though....Dean, do you have all the plugs/connectors??

for both the computer and engine parts??

multecs = injectors. They SUCK!

The bin is the calibration chip, those cars that the system came out of all use Vehicle Anti Theft System, VATS. Without the complete VATS system the car will NOT! start and run.
It's very easy to disable the VATS. Have someone burn a vats disable prom. Get a Moates G2 Memcal Adapter, open the ECU, remove stock calpack, plug it into G2 adapter, plug new prom into G2 adapter, plug the whole shebang into the OEM socket. Done!

Vatozone has online wiring diagrams that may help. I have a whole slew of GM manuals from corvettes to F bodies. Your system looks like it came out of a late Trans Am or GTA because of the AUJP calibration. I have a wiring diagram for it I can scan.

You should buy mu multiport ;) easier to change injectors, bigger manifold, also polished, comes w/ wiring...ready to run (and a weatherpack ECU) :D

24d3d4a4556d32.jpg