Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Workshop > Rebuilding Techniques

Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 AM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (0)
Default Rotor runout.....

Trailing arms are in......calipers are on....... spring hooked up. Start it up to see them turn and OMG.....I forgot to dial in the run out. Can this be done right on the vehicle? I do not have the tools here at my house for this, but can not drive it as much as they are wobbling. I can not beleive the amount of wobble....could there be something else wrong? I can probably get a guage and a mechanic / freind to help me out.
Also would painting the face of the spindle with POR15 throw off the run out?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

yes, painting the mating surface is not a good idea.... on several cars I used a metal conditioner and a very light coat of self etching primer from a rattle can, that's about a tenth of the thickness of brushed POR15.....

You can shim it "on the car", no problem. Buy a cheap dial indicator and a magnetic base... Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Ebay.... a quality indicator with base is about $180 (Mitutoyo, Starret)... if you only need it for this one job a $25 version will be ok .... even if the indicator isn't all that accurate, you only compare before and after shimming and as long as you get repeatable readings it's fine...

Other than that, all you need is the tools to remove the calipper and the rotor... there's no other special tools required...

good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
United States | n00b

Thanks mybad79 for the quick response....I am sitting here freakin out and waiting to see what I screwed up now...
I did goup the POR15 on with one of those sponge brushes....I will wire wheel it of first thing and then do the run out.
Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 AM
United States |

My Photos: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohouse View Post
Trailing arms are in......calipers are on....... spring hooked up. Start it up to see them turn and OMG.....I forgot to dial in the run out. Can this be done right on the vehicle? I do not have the tools here at my house for this, but can not drive it as much as they are wobbling. I can not beleive the amount of wobble....could there be something else wrong? I can probably get a guage and a mechanic / freind to help me out.
Also would painting the face of the spindle with POR15 throw off the run out?
Thanks,
Jeff
Yesthe por15 coudl definately affect it

The indicator will look something like this

Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow73SB View Post
The indicator will look something like this
Now that's a scary picture.....
Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

Quote:
I did goup the POR15 on with one of those sponge brushes....I will wire wheel it of first thing and then do the run out.

Did you see the stickies in this section ? the front rotors are covered in the "rotor runout" thread, the rears are covered in the "trailing arm" thread.... good stuff
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
United States | n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Did you see the stickies in this section ? the front rotors are covered in the "rotor runout" thread, the rears are covered in the "trailing arm" thread.... good stuff
I read both of them. I guess I was just wanted to be over protective and block the rust for the future. I am no mechanic and this was the biggest job I have tried to tackle. So when I saw that wobble ......I thought the worst. Hopefully start working on it again on Saterday....
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

It's probably just the thick paint... post again after your inspection/paint removal.... curious what you found and if it fixed the problem ...
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

Quote:
Hopefully start working on it again on Saterday....
Thanks,
Jeff
any update ???

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Last edited by MYBAD79; 06-12-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
United States | n00b

Default rotor runout ....plus...

I wire brushed all the POR 15 off the spindle faces and it brought the runout into specs. Went to bleed the brakes and broke off the bleeder in it could not get it out...bought a used caliper off ebay and installed that only to have to take it back off to rebuild it. Got it down off the jack stands and took her for her first ride about 3 weeks ago. Brakes work fine, but the back end still seems to rabbit around when you hit a bumb. I did not replace the spring, just the shocks and added new linners in the spring. I am thinking of saving some cash and gettin the rear sharkbite coil over system.......any thoughts on that or would a new mono spring work just as well? I do not race....jst like the feel of cornering on the back roads, but too scared to do so with the suspension I have now......I did want to keep everything original..but now it is everything, but the suspension. I want to do the front this winter, soo I will be looking into what can be done for that.
Now I have purchased the # matching intake and carburater...I am rebuilding the carb as we speek and the intake is getting powdercoated.
Wife is getting upset over the cash flow going into it......
I need to play more poker to support the good habbit....either that or she gets a second job!!!!