1964 Bee Line Camper Elkhart Il

Boy that thing looks familiar to me!! Does it have pipe bunks in the rear above the main bed?

Did it not have insulation originally or are you upgrading?:)

De Ja Vu all over again.....looks like 2 years ago, I think I mentioned it before Class C motor home from '71 same rebuild process...but I think yours was in better shape to start with....looking good man...those pix don't tell of the time factor as we well know....

:smash::smash::thumbs:

wound up using the duplicolor paint shop lacquer system. it is premixed and we used 2.5 qts of red. 3.5 qts of white. 4 qts of primer, 4 qts of clear, 5 cans of duplicolor self etching primer for the bare aluminum. 1 gal lacquer thinner for cleaning and wipe down purposes, 2 bags of white shop rags, 2 bags of tack cloth, 3 strainer kits, 1 pack of 600 paper, 3-4 sheets of scotch brite scuffing pads. couple rolls of blue tape, with discount it wound up at about $350 for paint and materials. I think we could have done it cheaper if we used a solid color and could have purchased it by the gallon then i bet we could have done it for $150-$200 but my son wanted the two tone paint scheme. My son paid for the paint and I bought bought a Vaper HVLP two gun set from Autozone for $99 as a back up set up since on thursday the 3 gun set up i ordered from TCP Global had not arrived yet. We still didnt have it on friday when we started painting the primer and as luck would have it, it arrived on saturday afternoon.

the temperature was nice to us and even with the fan going pulling filtered air in from the outside when we were painting the primer the friday temp inside was 70*, saturday was the red color coat/clear and it was 68*, and sunday was the white color coat/clear and it was 64*. 2 hours after we got done painting we went back out and cleaned up and then turned the heat on in the garage and its a comfy 69* out there.

overall we were happy with the paint product and we got really good with the HVLP gun. no runs or sags in the color or clear coat and our initial screws up with the primer we sanded out. our initial problems with the primer came from more of staging issues then anything else meaning the hose got caught on a ladder and made the gun move funny. so after the priming was done, the next day we did the lower coat and after seeing how it important moving with the gun was i built some scaffolding to put on two ladders so we could paint the top and that worked perfect.

Last edited:
looking great Bob :thumbs:

i am surprised how nice it turned out, that Duplicolor stuff seems to be better than I thought. This is a clear coat without hardener ? How long does it take to cure and is it somewhat soft or can it be buffed/polished ???

well lacquer dries by evaporation so it gets harder as it dries there is no hardener which i didnt want to use because of the isocyaniates (sp?), after 36 hours the clear coat can be wet sanded and buffed. honestly it doesnt need it for this application. maybe for a car where you want a high gloss finish but for this application the additioanl benefit of the extra clear coats that would be sacrificed for the high gloss i dont think would be worth it. i am really impressed with this product. this is the 6th vehicle i have painted over the decades and the first with the HVLP, i am considering this product for the vette and being able to "right size" the quanitity and return the extra product you dont need is a benefit.

Last edited:
Boy that thing looks familiar to me!! Does it have pipe bunks in the rear above the main bed?

Did it not have insulation originally or are you upgrading?:)

i dont know what pipe bunks are and i am not sure what my son ripped originally for insulation but this seemed like a good choice on my sons wallet.

this is the nice thing about these "modern" HVLP guns, the paint actually goes where it needs to go and not just in the air....

Nice! I used to live near Elkhart, RV Capital of the World.

Remember/know anything of a outfit named FRANKLIN?? they made mine....off a GM P30 van chassis.....

:eek:

Never heard of a company called Franklin but RV companies come and go pretty quickly.

Funny, as the company still exists, and on their web site, most POINTEDLY said they no longer make motor homes and offer nothing for support.....

I thought it funny ....but WTF....40 years.........:crutches::crap::D

guys that elastomeric roofing stuff was pretty good stuff, i used that and i was really impressed with it thks for the recommendation. bob

Remember/know anything of a outfit named FRANKLIN?? they made mine....off a GM P30 van chassis.....

:eek:

I had a 35' Franklin pull behind I lived in while I was in Atlanta, then hauled it to Detroit for a year. Traded it in on a 36' Travel Supreme. That Frnaklin was really not a bad trailer, but it was for sure NOT designed for either living in year round OR cold weather.

I had a 35' Franklin pull behind I lived in while I was in Atlanta, then hauled it to Detroit for a year. Traded it in on a 36' Travel Supreme. That Frnaklin was really not a bad trailer, but it was for sure NOT designed for either living in year round OR cold weather.

there was a guy at work in DC who lived on his boat his family didnt relocate with him...in the winter he stayed at work really late and watched TV in his office. i guess the boat was too damn cold...he showered at work also.