1958 MGA Coupe

yes and my first car was a hand me down form my parents which didnt run.....sure you can drive it to high school if you can get it torun...:)

your parents must have loved you more than mine... mine was a $50 purchase from behind a barn that didn't run. We lived 10 miles from town. A new fuel tank, new interior, new paint, and new transmission (highlight not complete list) - oh and the catch, my dad bought the car so it was never mine..... thanks dad? he still wonders why I tell everyone I hated it (it blowing head gaskets with remarkable frequency didn't help, nor did it frying generators and regulators)..... but at least I got to spend my money on fixing it....

Last edited:
and we haved moved to the first rescue mission, i think i see a small scale say GI JOE size one and a climb on one.

bell474.jpg
bell473.jpg
bell472.jpg
bell471.jpg

bell475.jpg

i think i have the scale down correctly now just to make right sized for the kids.

i am sure i would I would have a blast at a metal scrap yard

i am thinking diamond plate for the floor and an instrument panel from a boat/tractor/school bus with lots of gauges and switches. add to that a spot light thats mounted and rotates and some sort of rescue crane.

add some led flashing strobe marker lights, a solar panel and a tractor/ motorcycle battery and me and my 2 1/2 year old grand son will be flying some rescue missions.....we are going to mount it on an embankment hill in my sons yard so one side will be 2-3' off the ground for jumping off...

i need to add some gussets and triangular tubes and clean up some welds, this is all stick welded and then I will practice my TIG skills on any where that needs some TLC.

bell477.jpg
bell476.jpg

Last edited:
it has been decades since I have done this much stick welding. small diameter round tubing in funny positions is quickly renewing my stick welding skills.

I bought some marine gauges for the instrument panel, still need a switch panel and a spot light with handle.

bell480.jpg
bell479.jpg
bell478.jpg

we have lights. i am working through calibrating the gauges and figuring out if i will use potentiometers to adjust the gauges or just a fixed resistor to center the needle.....i keep pegging the gauges in my attempts to calibrate them

the two unlit lights will be connected to a momentary switch that has two positions so when you hold it it lights up

bell486.jpg

Last edited:
i need to figure what to build the nose section out of to hide the gauge wiring.

it has to be simple and durable.....fiberglass over a paper mache mold? sheet steel ?

are there any already available things i can cannibalize for it....5 gallon buckets, snow sleds? etc....

i need to figure what to build the nose section out of to hide the gauge wiring.

it has to be simple and durable.....fiberglass over a paper mache mold? sheet steel ?

are there any already available things i can cannibalize for it....5 gallon buckets, snow sleds? etc....

Wheel barrel - plastic or metal.....

Wheel barrel - plastic or metal.....

i like that, thanks, it gives me the sides folded in already like a Huey nose cone....let me look for one of those at a local thrift shop, a metal one i think so i can slice it and move the sides in

so i went under the screen porch to scrounge around in my metal junk pile and found some aluminum sheet that i have dragged around for the the last three houses and its getting used today!!!! I could really use a slip roller I wonder if i could make one?

bell487.jpg
bell488.jpguses.....its getting used!!

Okay, now that this project has gotten out of hand, I have a couple of suggestions. First, add a live rear axle and a small Harbor Freight gas motor (or electric starter motor with battery) with a centrifugal clutch. Use a motorcycle-type twist grip throttle control integrated into a helicopter collective handle pivoting from under the seat. Add a single front wheel under the dash and hook it up to rudder pedals for steering. I would probably forgo spinning main or tail rotor blades however LOL. This is starting to remind me of the powered barstools we used to build many years ago. That got out of control when some guy tried a small block chevy.

i like it.....I even proposed finding an old lawn mower engine that didnt work but that i could mount up side down on top of the helicopter so with the spark plug out i could mount a small prop to it and have a rotating helicopter prop.....

it was quickly vetoed by the non believers something about the grand kids getting whacked with in the head it by the other siblings....