FIA Headlights... getin there...

84rzv500r

Knows just enough to be dangerous!
once again the sawsall attacks fiberglass....

Thanks to the vettemod crew for dimensions!!! I drew up the headlight openings in cad and printed them out to scale... made some templates from poster board... A silver sharpie and a sawsall..

Since the body is not quite stock new mounting brackets had to be devised... 1" extruded angle for the sides and I braked up some AL sheet for the front... I cant use dzus fasteners for the plexy because rear access is limited so i will prolly use aluminum rivnuts and stainless buttonheads....

So Im taking the time to tidy up the front end as well and install my power steering cooler and lines as well as lines to the Long oil cooler... the old CBE lights circa 1972 are gone and some brake cooling scoops and ducting will be installed in their place behind new '73 grilles... also grabbed some aircraft silicone baffle material to seal off the radiator opening...

thum_1652e64cadd648a.jpgthum_1652e64ccc5f20a.jpgthum_1652e64cead831e.jpgthum_1652e64d1c6bb5b.jpgthum_1652e64d3c02f56.jpgthum_1652e64d5b8d943.jpg

why not use hella 90mm projectors?

I thought about it... and just fabbing up brackets from the drawings here...
I decided to stay a little bit old school for this... and it saves time...

Too many projects and to little time....

the vette
the "pickup"

at the shop we are doing an all steel 32 ford roadster.
an all aluminum 6.2L dry sump motor from a 2010 vette 12.5 to 1 and waiting for edelbrock to release the manifold,
motor resto rebuild for a 61 vette wjth a 283/270 2x4bbl
I have to finish the chop top on a 1961 Brockway rat rod with a 250 Cummins and a twin stick trans

Then there is the little matter of keepin my PhD movin froward...

oh yeah and my Real Job LOL....

Not whining tho.... really!!!! :tomato::tomato::tomato:

Really nice looking so far. I can't wait to see the final results. One question though, as I am not a fabricator. How hard would it be to roll the aluminum buckets so they had a similar contour to the lights? I don't know if that's really clear so let me try again. Rather than having the box shape with the 90* edges, could those be rolled? I just think that for me, personally, it would be more flattering if there weren't those sharp creases in between the bottom and the uprights.
Not meant as a slam or anything, like I said, I'm no fabricator so I just don't know.

Really nice looking so far. I can't wait to see the final results. One question though, as I am not a fabricator. How hard would it be to roll the aluminum buckets so they had a similar contour to the lights? I don't know if that's really clear so let me try again. Rather than having the box shape with the 90* edges, could those be rolled? I just think that for me, personally, it would be more flattering if there weren't those sharp creases in between the bottom and the uprights.
Not meant as a slam or anything, like I said, I'm no fabricator so I just don't know.

anything that doesn't break the laws of Physics or divide by zero can be done... it just takes time....

I bought these brackets and since my body work is all aftermarket it is taking awhile to get things mounted up brackets have to be fabricated.... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

pics updated

Got the brake cooling scoops installed... and the headlight buckets are all installed...

thum_1652ea4e9591f5a.jpgthum_1652ea4eaf73c3e.jpgthum_1652ea4ece15807.jpg

That looks really good! I like the exposed rivets too...

On a side note, I have my front plate mounted just like yours. Tucked up and at an angle. (I also have a tow strap tied up in front of it) I got pulled over the other day for "no front plate". the officer walks to the front of the car, looks down at the nose, comes back and says wheres your plate? I told him, its there. He walks up to the front of the car again and bends down way low to try to see it. He claims thats not acceptable and gives me my ticket (along with a window tint ticket) and off I go. I got a good chuckle watching him have to almost get on the ground to see the plate :devil:

That looks really good! I like the exposed rivets too...

On a side note, I have my front plate mounted just like yours. Tucked up and at an angle. (I also have a tow strap tied up in front of it) I got pulled over the other day for "no front plate". the officer walks to the front of the car, looks down at the nose, comes back and says wheres your plate? I told him, its there. He walks up to the front of the car again and bends down way low to try to see it. He claims thats not acceptable and gives me my ticket (along with a window tint ticket) and off I go. I got a good chuckle watching him have to almost get on the ground to see the plate :devil:

Thanks... I got pulled over three times last summer for driving with just fog lights SOOOOOO,,,,

I kinda like the look.... here are the completed photos... I couldn't use dzus buttons so Just used aluminum rivnuts and 1/4-20 stainless button heads to fasten...

now its actually getting pleasant to drive... I can see at night and I have mirrors that Work... thum_1652eeb9bbdcc7e.jpgthum_1652eeb9e43117f.jpg

I'm digging the "road fighter" look... I'm partial to that myself. I'd rather go fast than have nice paint. My truck and camaros are like that also, paint is so so but they haul ass (and are stupid loud) I'd rather spend 5K on go fast stuff than pain (the 82 TA has a reasonably good paint job, some stone chips and spots here and there that I will touch up but won't paint) Only thing I would do is paint the covers so only the actual light openings are clear, like the L88 racers had.

mirrors that work? hey now, don't go all out on creature comforts LOL before you know it you will install something as sacrilegeous as AC :)

I'm digging the "road fighter" look... I'm partial to that myself. I'd rather go fast than have nice paint. My truck and camaros are like that also, paint is so so but they haul ass (and are stupid loud) I'd rather spend 5K on go fast stuff than pain (the 82 TA has a reasonably good paint job, some stone chips and spots here and there that I will touch up but won't paint) Only thing I would do is paint the covers so only the actual light openings are clear, like the L88 racers had.

mirrors that work? hey now, don't go all out on creature comforts LOL before you know it you will install something as sacrilegeous as AC :)

I'm pretty pleased with the result...

Im with ya there... I dont give crap if it is shiny... It needs to perform.. go, stop, safe, and handle... if it dont make it do one of those things better then I dont have it on the car...

I love to go to Autocrossing and to car shows and to the vintage races and just watch the people... usually I will come back to a crowd around the car with people crawling underneath looking at the suspension....

we are building this all aluminum 6.2L 2010 corvette motor for a 50 chevy drag car... dry sump, 12.5:1 CR big cam... 2 speed Poweglide, 2 stages of nitrous (150 and 100) and a 1150 dominator, MSD computer... should knock the door on 700HP without the spray... These LS motors are pretty trick... makes me think sometimes... Lighter is FASTER...

yeah painting the covers in that fashion is the plan...

AC is only for intercooling 4.3L typhoons or syclones... LOL

thum_165166ee9b085dc.png