CS144 Alternator

I used one in the 71. Using the Mark VIII fan created a lot of draw on the system and the CS made a huge difference. You will appreciate it if you are running extra accessories like stereo or high draw electric fans or pumps.

I did my ampup years before when the CS alts were plagued with the 130 blow ups, and so have a '79 Caddy Seville with r/window defogger.....17SI just like the normal 2 wire alt and slightly larger in diameter.....one fellow I recommended it to had trouble with hood clearance on a BB, IF I remember correctly....it's not all THAT much larger, so I was surprised.....

BTW, my Dual Spals have been relay controlled and wired directly off the alt output stud through a short fuse link wire.....10 ga wire....other side of the motors/load to frame ground....

also....

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen......

:)

I see by your name that you into TPI, curious about the install, computer, and maybe some pix.....I did mine some 15 years ago....

:thumbs:

Mine came with my 385 Fastburn motor. Really put to the test last year, during a five day power-outage I had to leave with my truck for a few days and set my girl up with the 2000 watt inverter thats normal in he truck. Pluged it in the vette, idle at 900 rpm, handled the load for 4 to 5 hours, three nights in a row.

Wasn't something I wanted to do but...........................

Michael.

Mine came with my 385 Fastburn motor. Really put to the test last year, during a five day power-outage I had to leave with my truck for a few days and set my girl up with the 2000 watt inverter thats normal in he truck. Pluged it in the vette, idle at 900 rpm, handled the load for 4 to 5 hours, three nights in a row.

Wasn't something I wanted to do but...........................

Michael.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Who runs one and how do you like it

I do and it works great, especially at idle speeds. I run a big electric fan and need it.

Is it a larger case than the original stocker? Would it cause fitment problems on a BB or SB?

I think in a sbc, you're ok. The bbc uses some tight fitting brackets, so I for-see modding them.

My 17SI is larger in diameter, but from what I have seen, the CS144s are about the same as the OEM 10SI and so they supposed to have cooling/airflow increases that allow the smaller size with double the amps output....assuming you get the 6-12 mounts, it should fit good....

:flash: