Corvette guys watching out for others

rtj

Orlando craigslist. Partial description below. I'd really want to have proof before writing something like this. But that's just me.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6014567660.html

"THIS CAR IS A FRAUD. IT'S A REAL FUELIE BODY CAR BUT THE ENGINE HAS BEEN RESTAMPED TO MATCH NUMBERS. WHEN HE GOT THE BODY IT WAS WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL BLOCK. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!! TOO BAD BECAUSE IT'S REALLY A PRETTY CAR FROM 10 FEET AWAY

This car is currently up for sale in Sarasota. The guy who built the car is a master at faking original cars!!!"

I knew a Corvette friend here in Jax, years ago, who owned a vette shop, and he was known by several club members to be an expert on stamping engines with OEM factory dies, and so forth, to the extent that many many of the NCRS show winners are in fact, frauds......

when many guys tell me the same story, individually.....one on one....I have to believe it's true.....so as a consequence I would not pay a dime more for ANY car, perfect resto or not.....

:eek::surrender::thumbs:

I knew a Corvette friend here in Jax, years ago, who owned a vette shop, and he was known by several club members to be an expert on stamping engines with OEM factory dies, and so forth, to the extent that many many of the NCRS show winners are in fact, frauds......

when many guys tell me the same story, individually.....one on one....I have to believe it's true.....so as a consequence I would not pay a dime more for ANY car, perfect resto or not.....

did you hear the one about the guy who bought a 435hp (I think) with a reproduction block from Pro Team? he takes the block to clean it at the quarter car wash and just as he hits the side with the high pressure something comes flying off, the casting numbers were JB Weld

did you hear the one about the guy who bought a 435hp (I think) with a reproduction block from Pro Team? he takes the block to clean it at the http://vettemod.com/forum/images/smilies/surrender.gifquarter car wash and just as he hits the side with the high pressure something comes flying off, the casting numbers were JB Weld

OK, not heard of that one, but a guy here years ago had a Corvette shop, basically across the highway from me, I worked for a few months as a mechanic there, and in comes this decent looking chick with a shark she bought outta CALIFORNIA, and had it shipped here to Florida on a job transfer, I think, been some 17 years now....anyway, she pulls the car in for some minor attention, up on the lift, and the entire front of the chassis/frame was a welded up MESS, never seen such sloppy, let alone extensive work on a car in my life, we put another car up on a lift to show her the comparison....and so we got in touch with the seller out in Ca. and threatened hole HELL on them if not made good....so they paid us to swap frames on the car, so body off, frame torn down to naked, and when it got close.......out comes a frame from his storage yard, and it was rusted through on the rail in an unusual spot....most of you know of the shape of these frames as it goes under the side/passenger compartment, it's almost a triangle shape with the slope on the inside, and it was THAT surface that was rusted through, really weird, the rear suspension areas were fine, supports, the works....but that pass side rail was rusted though, so the owner fills it in with plastic/bondo, and then paints the whole frame......we install it and car drives totally normal, we did check for safety of course...but bondo on a FRAME?? this is the same guy that has the GM dies to stamp blocks with....

From '68 through '92 I was into Pontiacs and even a few mopars, but got back into Vettes in the early 90's and bought my '72 in '95, and it's my last shoe far as I"m concerned....

:goodevil:

finally admits?

if a person doesn't know the difference between your and you're - are you really going to take his criticism about a $160,000 car? seriously? All I see is a seller asking what he wants for the car and some stupid internet commando who is upset about it.

moving on.

Restamping the block, if not an attempt to increase the price, why bother?

Things are pretty slow on this forum, figured I'd throw this out for discussion.

When I bought my '72 in '95, it was the stock L48 and muncie....12 mpg.....15 on the road.....went L98 speed density computer and so it got 24 on I95 going to Florida and back...cruising at 80 mph.....336 rear......

moved to Florida in '97, needed an overdrive wound up with a 200 4r, same rear, put in a truck block and aluminum heads, tried a ZZ9 cam from TPIS, but it drove me krazy, junk...long story....went to a stock L98 cam from a good friend on this forum....runs fine now....all sorts of modifications....

Sold the OEM engine down the road a bit....could have cared less about #'s....
sold the muncie also.....

:beer::p

Actually, he is admitting to a felony with his text message reply saying it is restamped according to this:

"knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or"