Upgrading a bose c/d player with a newer one like shops do?

JeffP1167

Has anyone ever done this? I'de like to install a better c/d player in my bose head unit but where do you buy them at? Or could I just buy a later model GM radio and swap the c/d player into my bose head unit?

Easier would be to get a remote CD player with a FM modulator so you can tune to it via the radio in your bose.

Didn't you post that there was someone replacing the CD player in the Bose units with a better one? Mine skipped so bad, I replaced the whole deal long ago. I think I bought plate from Crutchfeild that filled the hole.

Didn't you post that there was someone replacing the CD player in the Bose units with a better one? Mine skipped so bad, I replaced the whole deal long ago. I think I bought plate from Crutchfeild that filled the hole.

Crutchfield has alot of good, easy to use kits.:thumbs:

the issue with my cd player is it will play for maybe a minute then all of a sudden it stops and ejects the c/d and then the radio comes on.

Easier would be to get a remote CD player with a FM modulator so you can tune to it via the radio in your bose.

They suck.:bullshit:

Why? My buddy has it in his 92 LT1, it works jsut fine. He retains the original radio for that stock look and has a remote control for the CD changer via FM modulation. Sounds fine, works fine. It's not like the stock Bose Gold system sounds awesome so even if there was a loss of clarity it would be hard to hear that.

the issue with my cd player is it will play for maybe a minute then all of a sudden it stops and ejects the c/d and then the radio comes on.

That's exactly why I got rid of mine. It was swapped out under warranty about 3 times and I gave up.

I think any double DIN unit will drop right in?

Years ago when CD's were the 'hot lick' , I had about a dozen stolen from my car, they even took the empty case to my Brubeck cd that was in the stock player, which is why it was not stolen too, I suspect....over the years I have found to leave absolutely NOTHING in a car unless prepared for it to be gone....

:surrender::twitch:

Why? My buddy has it in his 92 LT1, it works jsut fine. He retains the original radio for that stock look and has a remote control for the CD changer via FM modulation. Sounds fine, works fine. It's not like the stock Bose Gold system sounds awesome so even if there was a loss of clarity it would be hard to hear that.

Simple answer, everytime you step on a pre amplified signal, it degrades. CD's are compressed to begin with, and the dynamic range is quite limited. Original audio/analog signals are re engineered to sound better on a CD, and hardly resemble the original recording. Modulate it to FM and unscramble it again, and you have lost even more. And yes, the Bose units are not that great to begin with.

That's exactly why I got rid of mine. It was swapped out under warranty about 3 times and I gave up.

I pondered with changing the bose for something newer however I honestly don't like the looks of an aftermarket head units in a vette & how they don't match the rest of the dash stuff. I'm picky in that sense that I like everything in a interior to match. I really don't crank my radio up so the stock bose should be fine for me. The only reason I wanted a c/d was the car originally had it for one & sometimes I like to go for drives and not hear annoying commercials.

Simple answer, everytime you step on a pre amplified signal, it degrades. CD's are compressed to begin with, and the dynamic range is quite limited. Original audio/analog signals are re engineered to sound better on a CD, and hardly resemble the original recording. Modulate it to FM and unscramble it again, and you have lost even more. And yes, the Bose units are not that great to begin with.

Uhh, Bird, man, hate to say this, but you have it backwards.....about CD's vs olde tyme Analogue recording techniques.....the compression of dynamic range to fit the FM radio capabilities are the issue here, they step on a CD signal like MAD....

and they take a Dynamic range compander/expander to reprocess old analogue recordings into expanded sound to more match the capabilities of the CD's....

it's all about SNR/sig-noise-ratio and Dynamic range expressed in DB (no relation to our hero) which is typically only 55 db at BEST on a NEW vinyl stamping and only 68? DB on a 30 ips inch wide old Ampex master....especially when they overdubbed the tracks in making the original recording...

CD's recorded digitally can do about 92db SNR, and FM is so heavily compressed it's good for something really stupid like 30 DB,

NOW having said all that, in ANY CAR, the background noise is to the point that anything larger than that 30 DB SNR makes 1/2 the audio we WANT,drop out in noise....which is why I gave up on car stereo decades ago, that and the obvious theft problems....

:friends:

I pondered with changing the bose for something newer however I honestly don't like the looks of an aftermarket head units in a vette & how they don't match the rest of the dash stuff. I'm picky in that sense that I like everything in a interior to match. I really don't crank my radio up so the stock bose should be fine for me. The only reason I wanted a c/d was the car originally had it for one & sometimes I like to go for drives and not hear annoying commercials.

Yeah, I know what your saying. I don't know why they make those in dash aftermarket units so space age. Your right, they stick out like a sore thumb. Sounds like the remote changer through the radio might be the best option for you.

Uhh, Bird, man, hate to say this, but you have it backwards.....about CD's vs olde tyme Analogue recording techniques.....the compression of dynamic range to fit the FM radio capabilities are the issue here, they step on a CD signal like MAD....

and they take a Dynamic range compander/expander to reprocess old analogue recordings into expanded sound to more match the capabilities of the CD's....

it's all about SNR/sig-noise-ratio and Dynamic range expressed in DB (no relation to our hero) which is typically only 55 db at BEST on a NEW vinyl stamping and only 68? DB on a 30 ips inch wide old Ampex master....especially when they overdubbed the tracks in making the original recording...

CD's recorded digitally can do about 92db SNR, and FM is so heavily compressed it's good for something really stupid like 30 DB,

NOW having said all that, in ANY CAR, the background noise is to the point that anything larger than that 30 DB SNR makes 1/2 the audio we WANT,drop out in noise....which is why I gave up on car stereo decades ago, that and the obvious theft problems....

Gene, The audible range of CD's is filtered. The super highs and super lows of analog are shifted. The signal/noise is better, but the dynamic range is just not there. The FM craps on it even more.

I'm wondering if I could just pull the c/d player out of a new vettes radio and put it into this older bose. I've got a 93 parts bose head unit I will take it apart and see whats involved with changing out the c/d player in it.

Well, once you have the face plate of the head unit it's fairly simple to remove the c/d player. Only 5 screws hold it into the radio and then two plugs connect it to the circuit board. I will take it to an audio shop when I have more time and see what they say can replace it.

0114101341.jpg

0114101341a.jpg

The OEM hole is a triple DIn not double. If you use an aftermarket single DIN and then add a single DIN digital equalizer you can space them evenly leaving only a little bit of space at the top and the bottom.

Some shops can upgrade to the latest laser package for the unit but that would only bring you to 1995 quality.

This system from head unit to speakers blows meaty chunks for reliability in my experience.