Just got my tax refund and ready to buy interior stuff for my 90 have ????

JeffP1167

Is ACC mass back carpet the best and I've seen carpet fade real quik when exposed to sun and I was curious how "black" reacts to this problem. I'ts doubtful I can find the sport seat stuff my car is missing and since I have a set of standard shells thought I would just put base seats back into the car.

I see a lot of auctions on ebay are the covers and carpet all created equal? This is a daily driver vette so 100% correct looking doesn't really matter but I would still like stuff that fits nice with a minimal amout of cutting.

I've looked into a company called willcox and they seem to have excellent feedback but compared to say ecklers, mid america etc. Is this companies stuff as good as better known corvette suppliers?

Things I am interested in buying now are, So I'de like to hear about how you all like your carpet kits and this other stuff from various vendors. I am also going to go with leather-like since my son will be in the car a lot.

seat upholstery
carpet
major weatherstrip kit

Last edited:
Through the years Willcox has been a good supplier for ME.....

ACC is the carpet maker I have had for 15 years now, in my '72....wears fine as a DD, it's 'Dark Saddle'....and as such has turned yellow in about 4 years, so out it comes and into a garbage can of hot water and RIT dye....

I don't think ANY carpet colors will hang in there with sunlight....been through almost every color there is, not one YET....maybe white, but sorry my cars are not chick cars.....

Which strikes me as sorta strange, they make carpets out of plastic, buy yet the plastic seats and other interior pieces don't fade or get affected much as all far as I can see....

weatherstrip....one of the reasons I ditched my '87 was the super high weatherstrip cost, which was one thing....but the stuff is made of OPEN CELL FOAM, meaning it soaks water like a sponge once that super thin membrane wears a hole in it....then drips all over the place inside....

AFAIK all replacements are OPEN cell foam, it should be closed call foam...

like was in my '70 Lemans....

:beer:

Through the years Willcox has been a good supplier for ME.....

ACC is the carpet maker I have had for 15 years now, in my '72....wears fine as a DD, it's 'Dark Saddle'....and as such has turned yellow in about 4 years, so out it comes and into a garbage can of hot water and RIT dye....

I don't think ANY carpet colors will hang in there with sunlight....been through almost every color there is, not one YET....maybe white, but sorry my cars are not chick cars.....

Which strikes me as sorta strange, they make carpets out of plastic, buy yet the plastic seats and other interior pieces don't fade or get affected much as all far as I can see....

weatherstrip....one of the reasons I ditched my '87 was the super high weatherstrip cost, which was one thing....but the stuff is made of OPEN CELL FOAM, meaning it soaks water like a sponge once that super thin membrane wears a hole in it....then drips all over the place inside....

AFAIK all replacements are OPEN cell foam, it should be closed call foam...

like was in my '70 Lemans....

I'm curious why aftermarket carpet does this fading thing. I have a 97 camaro with dark grey carpet and it hasn't faded a bit. I've heard of several bad things about the repro-weatherstripping and I'm almost tempted to go with original GM stuff for that.

GM weatherstriping is open cell...with a double membrane on it, supposedly better than what was on my '87, but back 15 years ago they wanted about a grand for the same problem I already had, to recur in a short while..doubled on that outer skin/membrane or not...

I dunno if anyone makes closed cell or not....

The best luck I have had with carpet fading is OEM or black, like I had in the '70 Lemans for nearly a decade....but that came from YEAR ONE, I dunno who made it....

:cool:

I have a beautiful set of brand new leather seat covers in Saddle for C4 seats, I bought the wrong color for my car. Asking $400.00 (what I paid for them) if you are interested.

Wilcox has a pretty good reputation. I have never used them myself.

I bought carpet and weatherstripping from Wilcox and it's excellent stuff. Look on Ebay, they have a store there - I found my carpet there cheaper than on their own website.

Is ACC mass back carpet the best and I've seen carpet fade real quik when exposed to sun and I was curious how "black" reacts to this problem. I'ts doubtful I can find the sport seat stuff my car is missing and since I have a set of standard shells thought I would just put base seats back into the car.

I see a lot of auctions on ebay are the covers and carpet all created equal? This is a daily driver vette so 100% correct looking doesn't really matter but I would still like stuff that fits nice with a minimal amout of cutting.

I've looked into a company called willcox and they seem to have excellent feedback but compared to say ecklers, mid america etc. Is this companies stuff as good as better known corvette suppliers?

Things I am interested in buying now are, So I'de like to hear about how you all like your carpet kits and this other stuff from various vendors. I am also going to go with leather-like since my son will be in the car a lot.

seat upholstery
carpet
major weatherstrip kit

I have both the seat and carpet through Wilcox. I put the carpet in over the past couple of weekends. They give you extra length all around, so you do need to cut. It has the jute backing which is very thick. It is molded and fits perfectly. I'll shoot some pics today if you want to see it.

The seat covers that I bought are leather with some vinyl trim. They are a bitch to get on, but they look to be decent quality based on the stitching.

I think some here also have used a place called Al Knox corvette and are very pleased with their carpet.

Wilcox is a CF vendor. He has a forum discount area on his site with lower prices on this kind of stuff. Also, I originally bought the vinyl seat covers...they look cheap...I shot Wicox an email asking if he could get the better ones instead...no problem...good customer service.

Last edited:
I have talked at length with Wilcox himself on the phone, last time maybe 5 years ago, he seemed to have a few minits and didn't mind chatting....not many vendor owners would bother to do that.....buzzy or not....I forget the nature of the call, so it must have been insignificant even IF there was a problem....

AFAIK, Wilcox did not rip off Dr. Rebuild over the catalog issue with those hijacked diagrams....I ran into that long time ago, had a Dr. R. book then some time later got a ZIP book, noticed the same diagrams....and thought WTF, then saw the battle over it on CF and that explained it.....so I stay clear of ZIP for that reason alone....

Last edited:
I have a beautiful set of brand new leather seat covers in Saddle for C4 seats, I bought the wrong color for my car. Asking $400.00 (what I paid for them) if you are interested.

Wilcox has a pretty good reputation. I have never used them myself.

Are they for 89-91 seats or for earlier ones?

seat upholstery
carpet
major weatherstrip kit

I have both the seat and carpet through Wilcox. I put the carpet in over the past couple of weekends. They give you extra length all around, so you do need to cut. It has the jute backing which is very thick. It is molded and fits perfectly. I'll shoot some pics today if you want to see it.

The seat covers that I bought are leather with some vinyl trim. They are a bitch to get on, but they look to be decent quality based on the stitching.

I think some here also have used a place called Al Knox corvette and are very pleased with their carpet.

Wilcox is a CF vendor. He has a forum discount area on his site with lower prices on this kind of stuff. Also, I originally bought the vinyl seat covers...they look cheap...I shot Wicox an email asking if he could get the better ones instead...no problem...good customer service.

Can you please post pictures of this stuff on this thread? I would have tried dying my original stuff but it is completely shot! I am also considering a interior color change as well possibly a tan color since I really hate to think what the black interior will be like in the summer! I don't think keeping the car it's original colors is necessary since it's a high mileage car anyways and not worth much.

Here you go:

Old seat cover, new seat cover and new covers front and back:

IMG_1318.jpg
IMG_1320.jpg
IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg

80/20 Loop

IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1313.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg

And just for fun....my middle son with his new Russian Baikal O/U shotgun at Christmas

IMG_1295.jpg

Last edited:
And just for fun....my middle son with his new Russian Balkal O/U shotgun at Christmas

IMG_1295.jpg[/QUOTE]

Did the bird escape from the cage or something?

I also bought this madvette sound deading kit for the car.

0101101357a.jpg

0101101357.jpg

On the driver's right foot side, next to the gas pedal, there is a fitting of some sort on the console trim square up forward....what IS it??

I want to say tweeter for the stereo....IF so, how's it sound???

:bonkers::beer:

I have talked at length with Wilcox himself on the phone, last time maybe 5 years ago, he seemed to have a few minits and didn't mind chatting....not many vendor owners would bother to do that.....buzzy or not....

I agree.... often enough the conversation is short and all they're interested in is the part numbers and your credit card number... Wilcox seems to be all right :clap:

On the driver's right foot side, next to the gas pedal, there is a fitting of some sort on the console trim square up forward....what IS it??

I want to say tweeter for the stereo....IF so, how's it sound???

:bonkers::beer:

That's the control for the rear window defroster.

There are 4" Alpines in the kick panels with 5 by 7's in a rear box...and they sound pretty good:clap:

And just for fun....my middle son with his new Russian Balkal O/U shotgun at Christmas

Nah.....the bird is in the cage...you can see him..African Grey....although he was a little nervous:hunter:

Is that sound deadener just foil or is there something sandwiched in between?

Nah.....the bird is in the cage...you can see him..African Grey....although he was a little nervous:hunter:

Is that sound deadener just foil or is there something sandwiched in between?

There is foam or something sandwiched between it. Seems like a nice kit and all pre-cut and marked where it goes.

I just ordered a ACC carpet kit, leatherlike sport seat covers and 4 piece new foam kit for my vette from that willcox. Came to 1,154.00

I was going to go with a color change but you always see more polo green/tan interior cars. Mine is polo green with a black interior.

The other major things I need now are weatherstripping, tires, cat converters and paint and the car will be done. This has been one expensive project thats for sure! I'm hoping to find someone who can give me a deal on a paint job on the car. I still have a few bugs to work out on the car though but so far it seems to run ok. But with the interior back in nice shape it should make my outlook on this project better.

I know I could have bought one already in nice shape but I get more pleasure out of being able to say it got into this shape from the hard work I put into it.

Last edited: