MAF Sensor Cleaning

gr8vet

Friend of mine went to the dyno last weekend. After 1st run, the tuner pulled his MAF , cleaned it, picked up 40 HP. Are there any procedures or "do not do this" kinda stuff outthere?

tt

When you use K&N or other gauze style filters do NOT over oil them after cleaning. The oil bakes onto the MAF sensing wire and this throws it off completely.

is there some other type of product that could be used instead?
an electrical degreqser?
can't find crc in europe
:cool:

Last edited:
thanks twin.
i did some research last night and i found that crc has an office in france.
sent them a mail to see who sells their products.

It's also a good idea to turn the MAF uopside-down so that the spray won't get into the electronics.

Excellent advice about the K&N oil too. A few years back my BLMs and Intergrator values were way off after I installed an out-of-the-box K&N filter. Even the factory oiling was too much and the oil migrated onto the MAF sensor wires causing erroneous ECM readings.

A good spraying of MAF cleaner returned everything to normal.

Jake

It's also a good idea to turn the MAF uopside-down so that the spray won't get into the electronics.

Excellent advice about the K&N oil too. A few years back my BLMs and Intergrator values were way off after I installed an out-of-the-box K&N filter. Even the factory oiling was too much and the oil migrated onto the MAF sensor wires causing erroneous ECM readings.

A good spraying of MAF cleaner returned everything to normal.

Jake

You are going to be useful.:drink:

thanks for the links.
it is nearly impossible to have spray cans sent from the states to europe and if then only by sea!

in the meantime, i found an on-line vendor in germany.

Before I found the spray cleaner touted as being specifically for the MAF, I just used spray carb cleaner. I couldn't tell any difference and neither did my 415 engine's MAF.

Of course, the CRC stuff is probably better and that's all I use now.

Jake