*406 Runs Too Hot*

If you send your money to me, I will make your cooling issues disappear

same here.............

once again I'm just simply amazed that you are willing to throw a lot of excess money at the problem, such as an expensive new radiator, but you won't take the time to go and buy a $49.99 timing light and a $19.99 vacuum gauge to be able to answer what your timing settings and vacuum levels are to help us help you.

A new radiator may help lower your operating temps but at the same time it may also do it by masking the real problem. That's not fixing the problem, that's just overpowering it with an incorrect solution.

I've tried to make this clear on both forums but i give up now. I just don't understand people that post for help than refuse to take the suggestions that others offer. Regardless, I'm done.
Good luck to you

I am getting it tuned, so I am taking your advice. :eek:h:

I am getting it tuned, so I am taking your advice. :eek:h:

I think his point is that you might not have to spend a lot of money on a new raditor od a 5spd ... well, I'd get the 5spd no matter what based on my experience :yahoo: but your temperature problem is very likely easier and cheaper to fix than whatever you're willing to spend.

Buy the timing light and a vacuum gauge and then check it out yourself, if you need help understanding what the gauge/timing is ask your questions here.... if you go to a shop they rip you off as soon as they realize you don't know much about engines.... they see you're driving a Vette and don't know much about timing.. perfect candidate to charge $300 for a tune up.... :flash::flash:

Ok, understood. I'll pick up a timing light and vacuum gauge today. Forgive me for the basic questions I come up with.

almost a month since you were supposably buying that timing light and vacuum gauge....... no updates??

I know a guy that had his wiper blades replaced at a Corvette shop.
Cost him the minumum 1 hr flat rate charge $75.00.
There are lots of people out there like that. Garages and parts houses need to make a living too. :amused:

The first thing that should be done here is to test the actual temp with a good gun or pyrometer. There may not be a heating problem at all. Then do the timing, vacuum leaks, lean etc.

Higher flowing pump and electric fans. I've now got problems of my motor never coming up to temp. I have dual Spal fans with one on with the ignition. My second is a toggle switch. Even in our 95 degree weather it's cold because I don't have a thermistat. I only have a 7/8th washer. I had a 5/8th washer and it ran fine on the street, but got to 240+ while racing. So a 3/4 might work

another big help is to use the extra rear manifold outlets plumbed into the radiator input side

Ok, understood. I'll pick up a timing light and vacuum gauge today. Forgive me for the basic questions I come up with.

OK, I'm back (7 months later) but I'm back. I haven't driven the car, so I thought I'd wait to fix the timing/tuning.

I bought a timing light and vacuum gauge.....now all I need is info on how to setup the timing...be gentle with me. :D

OK, I'm back (7 months later) but I'm back. I haven't driven the car, so I thought I'd wait to fix the timing/tuning.

I bought a timing light and vacuum gauge.....now all I need is info on how to setup the timing...be gentle with me. :D

Many good sticky's at that other place on timing and such. Maybe we can have a sticky list for basic tuning/specs/procedures from the likes of Lars, BarryK, GTR1999 etc. We have some very knowledgeable folks here...time for some cut and paste.

Edit: I see some info. is available in the Tech forum. Good to see.

Last edited:
Okay, it doesn't start now...LOL The last time it was a burnt wire, this time it fires up for maybe 2 seconds then flames shoot up through the carb and it dies.

help!

Okay, it doesn't start now...LOL The last time it was a burnt wire, this time it fires up for maybe 2 seconds then flames shoot up through the carb and it dies.

help!

Did you touch the timing at all?

Haven't touched it.

MAKE GOD DAMN sure you have not moved the sequence of the wiring one notch from #1 cyl around in rotation to say the #8 slot, making the thing retarred as hell....

another is to make sure the plug wires are not crossed.....5 & 7 are frequently plugged in rong....and same for 8 & 4....

don't ask....

:crap:

I went back and read your thread from page one to get a handle on what your original problem was/is,and with the over heating problem and not running now and and blowing back through the carb,I honestly think you have a tuning problem,my starting point would be with the timing,i think it is way off,to retarded (the timing) try putting a little advance in it CCW with the dizzy,just a little and try again.

And from reading the other earlier post,several members had suggested this already.