Aluminum fetish.

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Here is the scenario:

What could be replaced on a C-3 with aluminum, that would have been "feasable" in 1969?

Keep it real. Some parts are just not practical to do.

I.E., Aluminum Muncie case works. :yahoo:Aluminum springs, not so much.:bonkers:

Let's see what all we can come up with.

Here's some obvious answers to start:
Aluminum block

Aluminum heads

Aluminum manifold

Aluminum calipers

Aluminum alternator case

Aluminum master cylinder body

Aluminum differential case

Aluminum water pump

Aluminum transmission case

Here's some obvious answers to start:
Aluminum block

Considering that 215 cu in aluminum V8 with steel liners they did in '63 and how well it ran, I was always disappointed they never followed through with making all the other V8 engines that way.....could have, that silly engine in Mom's F85 Olds sat around till ~90 with only 35k on the clock and still ran great.....

Aluminum heads

obvious, see above.....

Aluminum manifold, ditto.....

Aluminum calipers

Aluminum alternator case never seen one that wasn't....you maybe thinking of generator....

Aluminum master cylinder body agreed.....

Aluminum differential case I dunno on that one, Gary hates them, Mike seems to at least made peace with them......

Aluminum water pump and a/c compressors, that A6 could sink a battleship....

Aluminum transmission case
last one of them I seen in iron was the old power slide like in my '60 vette....even the slim Jim and 4 speed dual coupling monsters were aluminum case.....and everything since...

:shocking:

If I recall correctly a pair of racing twin turbo C3 corvette have been built with aluminum birdcage. Just like the grand sport C2.
Right?
Ok, I'm not keeping it real....

How about the heavy pedal brackets and the pedals themselves? With steel clevis pins and bronze bushings, should be no problem.

BOO HISSSSS......

Decades ago a friend was son of the publisher/editor? or Christian Science Monitor....John Sperling....he had a new E Jag...XKE by name.....aluminum mono coche (sp?) in the rear, and it was cool looking...convertible if memory serves....

been a while....

:suicide:

Core support

Frame crossmembers

(Actually, the whole frame could be)

Core support yes.
Frame, not so much. The aluminum would have to be thicker to be the same strength.

The aluminum would be thicker, but still lighter. I know a couple guys that always spec'd their OTR trucks with aluminum frames for just that reason.
But there is lots of room there too. Might be a problem under a Vette.

Oil filter. Not really a weight savings, but still feasable/practical.

I don't believe we listed the radiator itself yet.

I'm sure more alu in the steering column would help.

upper and lower control arms

could also be some improvement in the headlights design.
Use the same system (pop up) but more efficient, lighter design for the framing of the lights assembly

Last edited:
Core support

Frame crossmembers

(Actually, the whole frame could be)

Core support yes.
Frame, not so much. The aluminum would have to be thicker to be the same strength.

The aluminum would be thicker, but still lighter. I know a couple guys that always spec'd their OTR trucks with aluminum frames for just that reason.
But there is lots of room there too. Might be a problem under a Vette.

I for one would like to see a OTR truck with an aluminum frame. I really don't see the reasoning behind it. An aluminum or composite trailer yes but just don't think an aluminum frame truck would last very long with all the flexing involved when empty because I have seen aluminum trailers crack just from that. Besides if heat treat metal frame rails on trucks crack I can only imagine what the aluminum would do. The cost difference would be substantial for a weight savings of what at the most 300-400lbs. That kinda of weight could be lost just on steel verses aluminum rims, 5-60 gallons less of fuel, plus I would think salt would trash an aluminum frame being these trucks are subjected to those conditions.

Watch a semi bobtailing and watch the steel frame flex hardcore. Just think the less flexible aluminum would crack and also give a harsher ride in itself.

Last edited: