Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (67)

Another car with the cut out front fender flares.

I’m increasing the fender flares on my junker 1.25 inches each side, might consider this for laughs.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 10-05-2019, 07:36 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (666)

I am not at the car just now - Sytill in Annapolis - preparing for a Blue Water Brokerage show. Hope to pass along our veerable saing home to new owners.

Meanwhile, that is what I plan to do with the rear of my front clip - at least the lower half. You can see how the splitter dam separates in the front, well the back of the fender will be cut away similarly.

A lot of the Speed Hunters do as well.

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-06-2019, 11:09 AM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Meanwhile, that is what I plan to do with the rear of my front clip - at least the lower half. You can see how the splitter dam separates in the front, well the back of the fender will be cut away similarly.

Cheers - Jim
It’s coming along! I see a lot of sanding in your future.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:13 AM
United States | Addict

I was thinking, a c2 or c3 with sidepipe exhaust could run an L-shaped “heat shield” to get side skirt splitter effects.

If done right, might not look bad.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:47 PM
United States | Addict

Mfain mentioned the C8R exhaust to blow above the diffuser to aid downforce.

This talks about a blown diffuser as creating boundary layer control, for an F1 this could mean above or inside the diffuser.

I think the c8r is more like a jet ejector effect, but lowering pressure at the exit lip would impact the boundary layer, but not like injection.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 11-07-2019, 04:19 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)
Default External aero item

Not internal aero related, so I'll apologize right now, but this seems to be the thread that might get more input on my question/project. I'd like to put a small, as-non-obvious-as-possible aero mod to the area between my hood scoop and the windshield. My goal is to "stall" more air at the cowl area for several reasons. These reasons include a little more static pressure in that area for increased downforce on the center of the car, increased drag on the windshield to help slow the car when braking, and what the hell, the increased pressure behind the scoop opening might help the carb air intake quantity/mass a micro amount to help offset the increased drag of the aero setup.

Right now the easiest thing to do would be to remove the cowl grill strip, and replace it with a (painted) aluminum piece that has some tabs on it that would stall/spoil the air flow before it reaches the windshield.

I'm just beginning to kick around some ideas on the form of this thing, but any suggestions or caveats are welcomed.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:34 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (87)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Not internal aero related, so I'll apologize right now, but this seems to be the thread that might get more input on my question/project. I'd like to put a small, as-non-obvious-as-possible aero mod to the area between my hood scoop and the windshield. My goal is to "stall" more air at the cowl area for several reasons. These reasons include a little more static pressure in that area for increased downforce on the center of the car, increased drag on the windshield to help slow the car when braking, and what the hell, the increased pressure behind the scoop opening might help the carb air intake quantity/mass a micro amount to help offset the increased drag of the aero setup.

Right now the easiest thing to do would be to remove the cowl grill strip, and replace it with a (painted) aluminum piece that has some tabs on it that would stall/spoil the air flow before it reaches the windshield.

I'm just beginning to kick around some ideas on the form of this thing, but any suggestions or caveats are welcomed.
Maybe not as effective as your tab idea, but Im thinking replace the grille with a metal piece that is smooth in the center (width of your cowl scoop) and then to the left and right of the cowl would be either open, or maybe have a recessed scoop to create some turbulence/downward pressure? A poorly designed NACA duct, if you will. That way you get to keep the footwell vents for those hot track days
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (666)

Ok - I've been trying to get my head around the idea - see if I am close to understanding where you want to "stall" [I think you mean increase the pressure - or stagnate] the flow?

Here is some interesting work done on the C6 Racecars:

Note the hood is shaped to move the high pressure towards the A pillar --and off the windscreen.
Another view:

I couldn't find a CFD of a C3 so this volvo will have to do:

Some of the clear VGs available would be pretty unobtrusive to test out: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] Aircraft Spruce is the source.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:39 PM
United States | Addict

I’ll throw this out, but may not be exactly right. Best hood scoop pressure for l88 by:

Replace wiper door with filler piece that seals to the windshield and the divider the wiper motor mounts on.

This will make the interior vents useless. Also, no more wipers.

Filler piece should be flush with hood or slightly below in the non-scoop region.

Put weather stripping on inside edge of hood to prevent flow.

Low restriction filter.

Clean out any lips or blockages inside the scoop.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:11 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Ok - I've been trying to get my head around the idea - see if I am close to understanding where you want to "stall" [I think you mean increase the pressure - or stagnate] the flow?

Here is some interesting work done on the C6 Racecars:

Note the hood is shaped to move the high pressure towards the A pillar --and off the windscreen.
Another view:

I couldn't find a CFD of a C3 so this volvo will have to do:

Some of the clear VGs available would be pretty unobtrusive to test out: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] Aircraft Spruce is the source.
Increase the pressure. That's what I said in my post.

I'd like to increase the static pressure on the center of the bodywork/wheelbase. I don't need any aero drag reduction, as the car is fast enough down the straights (the car is light enough where I have a respectable power to weight ratio), but I'd like a bit more traction during cornering, and the extra drag of this mod would just help slow the car down at the end of the straights.

I'm looking for any mods that aren't terribly obvious to the casual observer.