Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (45)
Default HD C3 IRS build up

I recently assembled one of Tom's 12 bolt kits. He tuned the posi, fitted the stub axles, and blended out the edges on the posi for a reasonable price. The details were posted on another forum.

I get a lot of good info from this site, so I figured I'd post some photos from the build up of the entire IRS. It's the complete Tom's kit, and I'm going to do a few more things.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Final photo of the assembly.

Here's the cross member tig'ed up. Hard to clean real good, and the place I went to get gas pushed an argon mix, when I asked for straight argon. I took the mix, but think it was a mistake.

Another thing going in this is the adjustable toe mentioned in one of the PDF's in the Tech section. I got some grade five 3/4" bolts and nuts and have it mostly machined up. Here's the first couple of pieces. I"ve tried machining grade 8 before, and it was a pain, the grade 5 was not too bad. I'll need to order some extra long through bolts, this short one is just for fitting.

I think this will be far stonger than the standard bolt and shims. I will eventually work on the engine, and figured I'd plan for it.

A few other things on the list, lots of gussets, solid aluminum bushings on the cross member and pinion snubber, new 3.5 in driveshaft with 1350 u joints....
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 AM
United States | Addict

Boxed in the strut rod bracket, need to fix the ends to drop the strut rod 0.5 to 1", haven't decided which yet. Parts for toe setting screws pretty much done.

Got the rotors drilled for half inch studs.

Solid dif crossmember spacers started:

Shortened the spring.

Need some of those bands to install back on the spring now
Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM
United States | Knows just enough to be dangerous!

My Photos: (105)

nice work...
1971 Can-Am, 502 Ramjet, CC Rollers, hookers, 14 pt cage, Lakewood, McLeod RST DD, ROD 6 trans, 3.08 rear, Wilwood brakes, Hydraboost, Steeroids, Tubular A-arms, QA1 DA and Viking DA shocks, VanSteel HD offset TA's w/Johnny Joints, 6 link, 3" tele halfshafts, modded dragvette loops, 16 gallon fuel cell, basset wheels 15x10x4 with nitto 555r 275/50VR15, 15x12x4.5 with nitto 555r 325/50VR15's, Ultrashield seats, SW Clocks, 16" spal fan, Jones Racing RTP, FIA lights, Mirrors, Action...
Old 06-29-2014, 01:52 PM
United States | Addict

These are finished. They require a lot of fitting. I waited to weld up the supports until after I got it all bolted up. Good thing, as the side to side distance was good, but one bracket is bent up about 10 to 15 degrees. I need to cut one or both brackets loose, bolt up the cross brace with a diff installed bolted to the pinion bracket, and weld up the brackets in the correct location. Someday, all this hardware will probably get transplanted on another car, so the solid bushings seemed like the way to go.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (554)

SOLID WORK there! Very nice job on the "pucks." Just wondering - do you have a preference for the metal spring? Why not opt for the Dual Mount Composite?

Inquiring minds want to know! (Or did I miss it earlier?)

Cheers - Jim
Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 AM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
SOLID WORK there! Very nice job on the "pucks." Just wondering - do you have a preference for the metal spring? Why not opt for the Dual Mount Composite?

Inquiring minds want to know! (Or did I miss it earlier?)

Cheers - Jim
If you install the "traction bars" like 84rz500r, then maybe the dual mount would okay. My gut feeling is that without the traction bar, the diff may move around more. But, this may or may not happen.

I thought about composite when I bought the last spring, but is was too soon after snapping an axle, so I decided on steel. Luckily I was just coasting to a stop light when the passenger side axle finally let go.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 AM
United States | Addict

The first fitting of the solid bushings was a let down. I could tell one of the perches was tipped at a different angle, and you could see a dent in the frame above where they attach. I've had this car since 97, and think I paid $4200 for it back then. I drove it until 2004 with only small repairs and minor upgrades. But, during that time found the frame damage. So butchering it up a bit has never bothered me too much.

Any way you can see where I sliced the mount and tack welded it back. A nice little digital angle gage from HF and a floor jack and I got the angle matched to the good side and tacked it up in place. Amazingly, when the cross member was bolted up, it all fit real nice. You can see the dent in the frame in the picture.

I think the plan now is to finish welding the gap, grind it down flush and weld on reinforcing plates on both sides with the cross member bolted in.

I was impressed with how solid it ended up. Final assembly will probably include some high temp or black rtv to seal the whole thing up (bushings to hat to cross member).

Decided to machine solid bushings for the pinion mount and reinforce the pinion bracket to the frame as recommended.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

Nice work !!!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Nice work !!!

Thanks for telling the secret on shortening the steel spring. On your spring did you replace the band clamps and if yes, what did you use?

For anyone that didn't see it, the trick is to cut and drill one side. My mind was determined to trim both ends!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Nice work !!!

Thanks for telling the secret on shortening the steel spring. On your spring did you replace the band clamps and if yes, what did you use?

For anyone that didn't see it, the trick is to cut and drill one side. My mind was determined to trim both ends!
Hehe.... Yes, just drill a new center hole and only cut one side..... On one spring (two+ years ago) I hammered the band clamp back in place..... Since then I installed the dual mount spring and wow..... I am impressed.....

One huge benefit is that spring does not mount to the diff.....