Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (264)

Would a washer of the same thickness (as the raised island) work? Is this to insure the gasket is not over compressed?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Would a washer of the same thickness (as the raised island) work? Is this to insure the gasket is not over compressed?
I don't really have a good answer. I've just been curious if this raised section surrounding the bolt holes is there to radially distribute the clamping force better, or if it's there to be a sacrificial material to be lightly chewed up when the washerless bolts are spun into the bolt holes.

(As I've said in a few prior posts, I'm just an electrical guy playing with stuff that I'm not really qualified to mess with. )
Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (3)

The raised area around bolt holes are typically found on cast components where the draft in the cast surface would create a slightly tilted clamping surface and induce some bending in the fastener. The raise areas can be spot faced (or cast without draft) perpendicular to the bolt holes to eliminate this undesired bending.

If everything is flat and perpendicular just add a washer and bolt it up.

Grampy
Old 11-26-2015, 10:10 PM

Made a little more progress on the batwing. Got the ends welded back up, but still need to drill and tap a hole for the lube fill port. Probably will do it in the area just above the spring arc and below the lower two threaded holes for the toe-rods. That's pretty close to the same level on a C3 cover.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Still need to pop out the rubber bushings and install the urethane ones I've had gathering dust on the shelf. Also, I need to do a little more grinding/cleanup in a couple areas, and then a light sandblast to even out the texture between the cast area and the welded/ground/sanded areas.

So far it still looks like 6-8 pound weight reduction compared to the present C3 batwing and toe-bracket on the car.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Netherlands | Der Maulwurf

My Photos: (1296)

Those busings are a bitch to get out. Easiest is to drill holes through or holesaw. Pop out the center pin then the bushing and cut a slit in the shell and chisel it to collapse. Chamfer the batwing and pop the urethanes in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Got the exhaust system pulled out, along with the spring, toe rods and camber bracket removed. I welded up a few lengths of scrap tubing and angle iron to make a bridgework to support the differential in its current spatial position, and then took my sawzall to the batwing brackets on the frame (so I'm reasonably committed now). I just need to drain the lube now and I can unbolt the C3 batwing.

So far it looks like the net weight reduction should be about 10-11 pounds. Five pounds coming from the C4 batwing, and another 5-6 coming from not needing the steel adapter brackets to bolt up the C4 spring and C6 toe rods to the C3 batwing, and a slight material removal to make the camber bracket fit the C4 batwing.

Recently had Windows Hate point One installed on my computer, and now I can't get any pictures downloaded from my camera card, but I'll get some posted when I get the damn system issue figured out.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:18 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

What's the camera problem? I've had good luck with 8.1 and 10, might be able to help if I have some more details.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
What's the camera problem? I've had good luck with 8.1 and 10, might be able to help if I have some more details.
I appreciate it. Presently when I plug the camera memory card into the slot on the tower, I get a full greenish blue screen saying how many files it found, this screen lasts for about 3/4 of a second, and then the screen changes back to the main screen with all the usual icons and shortcuts. No opportunity to look things over or store or delete things.
Previously, the card would download and the screen would contain all the pictures that were in the card. I then had plenty of time to label, date, and store the file in the picture section.

Just a bit annoyed and mystified why things can't be simple when it was only a modest software update.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Have you tried going to File Explorer to see if the card shows up there? It should be an option under the start menu. If that doesn't work, and the camera has a USB port, you could try connecting the camera to a USB port on your computer to see if it will show up as an external drive in the File Explorer.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
Have you tried going to File Explorer to see if the card shows up there? It should be an option under the start menu. If that doesn't work, and the camera has a USB port, you could try connecting the camera to a USB port on your computer to see if it will show up as an external drive in the File Explorer.
Went to File explorer and found the pictures in the G file. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out what's involved getting them all in a single date file.