Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (63)

I bought the one from rock auto with power steering... I believe about 140.00 I had to go to a slavage yard to get the brackets. ..

If you can change your thoughts,...
You can change your world...
Old 06-26-2016, 01:27 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette View Post
can you give me the link ? And maybe a parts list ?

If my eyes are not deceiving me it looks as if the link is awfully close to the headers, almost touching.

Can I assume that the R&P makes the car steer like a modern car ? I'm used to European cars steering systems and never seem to get used to the vettes steering box.
Get hold of TT here, Marck knows the numbers, and the European cars that have that same rack.....too many years now, so I forget what TT said, but there was a fellow named Yoshi??/similar name from northern Europe who did a conversion, and so it was eventually traced to the CTO rack same as the '89 Grand Am my rack came from, and YES there is NO comparison between the rack at 2.7 turns L-L vs the sloppy stock set up that steered like a bus.....but of course a smaller wheel, wide tires on 17" rims, revamped suspension Bilstein sport shocks, and a rear plastic spring make all the difference in the WORLD, with every change over the early years of my ownership of this '72, bought it in '95.....the improvements were amazing....and I would not know Jack Squat about doing these improvements without the internet and talking/typing/meeting with other guys of similar asspirations for their cars.....

Old 06-30-2016, 11:03 PM
United States | Addict

My R&P post is [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...] with pictures.

I also commented with some additional pictures in Karstens (MYBAD79) R&P post.

The Saginaw CTO (Center Take Off) R&P we use is from mid 90s GM FWD midsize cars ( Pontiac Grand Am ect) . You will find the same type steering box in a mid 90s SAAB 900 (A/C 19320502). Typical source here is Rockauto. Note these GM steering boxes suffer from "morning sickness" where they don't work well when started after they have been in service for a lot of miles so a rebuilt unit is suggested.

GM built many different P/N units with identical exterior dimensions and steering ratios and amount of travel. The amount of steering effort is controlled by the diameter of an internal torsion bar which is not serviceable. The rebuilders do not seem to differentiate these nuances and basically lump all power units as quick ratio (2.5 turns) or standard(2.75 turns). So your steering feel will be to some extent down to luck.

You can find the u-joints and shafts in either the Flaming River or Bergson catalogs. The part numbers for joints/shaft vary depending on your material choice and shaft diameter and connection choice (double D or splined). If you use an 3 u-joint intermediate shaft design so you do not collapse the steering column you will need a support bearing which can be sourced from Summit. I can't find the P/N for the GM mounting bushings and clamps for the R&P assembly but I sourced them locally from the dealer.

You are correct in your observation that I don't have a lot of clearance at the #1 header tube. The old chrome headers cleared much better but the new stainless ones are very tight and have been "dimpled" for clearance. Surprise - both headers are Hookers just 30 years apart. I have not cooked the u-joint yet.

All the mounting brackets, center bracket, tie rods, power steering hoses are custom made. I think MYBAD79 has documented these most comprehensively.

Grampy
Old 07-01-2016, 06:08 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

From the daze of having the stock steering and the '89 vette wheels on the car with 255/50 rubber on front, I had to limit the steering throw to keep tires from rubbing on swaybars/frame so added a bolt to the lower A arms to hold the snubbers off a tad.....

and noted the 2.7 turns R/L on the wheel is infinately quicker than stock, but in fact I have NO clue about the actual throw/turns of the rack itself.....

Old 07-02-2016, 12:33 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Sort of on-topic, I was watching the latest episode of Fantomworks last night, and they were fixing a bastardized resto-mod of a '53 Mercury wagon that a previous shop had left unfinished. One thing that the other shop had tried to do was use a steering rack with tie rods that were far longer than the car's control arms. Kind of interesting to see a general audience show talk about bump steer, but they never did say what they did to solve the problem.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Austria | Member

My Photos: (5)

Here we go.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Regards, GŁnther
Old 07-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Belgium | Addict

My Photos: (104)

Looks great Gunther

What's up with the play issues and the extra gusseting suggested ?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GŁnther-C3 View Post
Here we go.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Regards, GŁnther
Gunther, do you have dimensions or templates for those brackets you fabricated?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Austria | Member

My Photos: (5)

For sure my friend. Do you have a 3D design programm like SolidWorks or something similar? In that case, you can have step-files or whatever you want.

GŁnther
Old 07-29-2016, 11:04 PM
United States | Addict

I don't have any 3D design programs.