Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 01-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Belgium | Addict

My Photos: (104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
The old school bump steer correction substituted a long threaded rod with a tapered end to substitute for the outer tie rod joint. Spacer shims were used to position a heim joint lower than the factory location.

Since you are making a new center link to fit the GA rack you can change the height and change the center to center distance of the inner pivot points. This freedom along with the old school bump steer kit plus some experimentation with a bump steer gage should allow you to establish the new inner and outer pivot locations needed to minimize bump steer.

Look at the work of others it appears that the tie rod center to center distance wants to be longer than stock so the center link would be narrower. Also the inner tie rod joint wants to be as close to the oil pan as possible and the outer joint wants to be lower.

Gunther has done the bump steer tests. Perhaps he would share his findings.

Grampy
The link I posted seems to suggest the location of the joints need to intersect with the lines from the arms pivots and ball joints. I don't think it would be correct to place the inner joint below the oil pan.

Does someone here have the measurements of the stock location of the various suspension points ?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (3)

Sorry for the confusion Yves, previous experiments report the inner pivot should raised vertically. The oil pan is the vertical limit so the pivot should be to as close to the oil pan as practical.

Grampy
Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 AM
Netherlands | Der Maulwurf

My Photos: (1296)

damn that suspension is NICE!!!! too bad it's still rear steer

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
United States | All About VetteMOD

My Photos: (242)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette View Post
The link I posted seems to suggest the location of the joints need to intersect with the lines from the arms pivots and ball joints. I don't think it would be correct to place the inner joint below the oil pan.

Does someone here have the measurements of the stock location of the various suspension points ?
I'm not explaining myself. There is no "common" intersection (using the IC) of the inner pivot point of the steering links. Try laying this out on paper. The IC defined by the upper and lower arms moves in and out and up and down with the wheel. The only way you would have a common intersection would be if the outer steering arm was in the exact same point as the lower ball joint (x, y). It's not.

You are going to end up with rods that are 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer. That is the closest you will get.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Belgium | Addict

My Photos: (104)

Anyone here have an idea with which software the drawings from Gunther were made in ?

Thanks