Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Bee Jay, try putting some manly springs under your frame rails and you won't be able to lift the front so easily.

My car is stable at 140mph, don't feel any lift. Now when my car was stock, I felt lift at any speed past 80mph.

The front end of a C3 is like a big spoiler, if you drop the car low enough with enough of a rake, she'll stabilize. The bottom of your oil pan might get all scraped up like mine, but it's worth it to turn your snazzy looking muscle car into a sports car. IMO.

I installed the 550 coils, with 3/4 of a coil cut and some low profile tires. I also cut out a wide opening behind the cowl on the hood.
That is why I went with 17" wheels in front and 18" wheels in back. I also cut a full turn of my Rancho front springs. I went thru two oil pans before I found this circle track pan. The lowest point under the car is now my headers. I'm pretty steady at 140mph, the only thing that lifts now is my headlights. My car sucked at anything performance wise when new and stock.

Bee Jay
Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Bee Jay, try putting some manly springs under your frame rails and you won't be able to lift the front so easily.
My car is stable at 140mph, don't feel any lift. Now when my car was stock, I felt lift at any speed past 80mph.

The front end of a C3 is like a big spoiler, if you drop the car low enough with enough of a rake, she'll stabilize. The bottom of your oil pan might get all scraped up like mine, but it's worth it to turn your snazzy looking muscle car into a sports car. IMO.

I installed the 550 coils, with 3/4 of a coil cut and some low profile tires. I also cut out a wide opening behind the cowl on the hood.
The springs just mask the problem. There's still the same vertical force trying to lift the body (and more importantly, reduce the downward force/weight on the tires).
The rake mod is a legitimate aero mod.
I'm not following what item/area you cut behind the cowl.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Der Bismarck

My Photos: (1)

I put this front spoiler on from FGregg Racing.

Last edited by Sadistic; 09-19-2009 at 01:58 AM..
Old 09-19-2009, 12:01 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadistic View Post
That is a damn good looking Vette right there.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 AM
United States | Member

My Photos: (10)

Quote:
Hey,i just bought one of those off fgregg racing,you say it does help with keeping the nose down?I havent tried a high speed run yet to find out

Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Der Bismarck

It should definitely help quite a bit but even more so if the front end is lowered. I hope I can get my vette to be lower. There's way too much room for air under there.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Der Bismarck

Here is one of my Vipers. Not to boast but look how much lower the front end is. Racers even put a splitter on the front to further push down the front end at high speeds.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Der Bismarck

From this angle, it doesn't appear that I can lower it that much. I definitely don't want to bash my fenders up. Without making your vette look like an oddity, the F Gregg spoiler is about the best you can do, with some lowering to help. Without an overdrive transmission, I doubt there is much top speed anyway. Before I put in the 5 speed, this vette was screaming its nuts off on the highway with a 3.73 rear. It was ridiculous. If you have an overdrive trans, it is a different story and these cars were not designed for that sort of speed, so you better do something to control the lift.

Last edited by Sadistic; 09-19-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (10)

Quote:
From this angle, it doesn't appear that I can lower it that much. I definitely don't want to bash my fenders up. Without making your vette look like an oddity, the F Gregg spoiler is about the best you can do, with some lowering to help. Without an overdrive transmission, I doubt there is much top speed anyway. Before I put in the 5 speed, this vette was screaming its nuts off on the highway with a 3.73 rear. It was ridiculous. If you have an overdrive trans, it is a different story and these cars were not designed for that sort of speed, so you better do something to control the lift.
Yes i know what you mean.Mine has a 3:55 rear,its alittle better then 3:73.I can go pretty good at top speed ,but it was too hairy at the front end.My new setup has even more hp then before,hopfully the front spoiler will help,we will see.Nice car by the way,its how mine will look in the future,i have Stans flairs already .Just need to learn a little about fiberglass body work.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (2)
Default Air has nowhere to go

I believe the lift everyone is discussing is that the slant and the size of the panel around the radiator. This panel is the one that directs all the incoming air into the radiator but as others had tested. Very little air gets to the back of the top of the hood. My C4 has ductwork to the radiator and air inlet that only draws air from the center of the bumper from underneath. I would think the true repair for this issue would be to make a duct to draw air into the radiator from a much smaller surface area of the nose of the car. Then block off air flow into the area in front of the wheels so the air doesn't get trapped and create a high pressure area in the nose. Better yet vent the air on either side of the radiator into the brakes and underhood so that air would be put to use cooling the brakes and engine compartment.
I like the Front Spoiler-splitter idea because that increases front air pressure downward. Don't forget that Grand Sports cut openings in the top of the fenders to let that air out quickly to help plant the front ends.
I think I am going to do this to my car if for no other reason to improve engine compartment and front brake temps.