Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD General Discussion > Projects

Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (2)

WHOA! Can't believe it has been 2 weeks since my last post!

I got the C6 rear clip home a week ago and finally got a little bit of time to mess with it this morning. Prior to placing the clip on the 78, the holes for the 4 tail lights, the 2 marker lights and the gas lid opening have to be cut out.

Here is the clip sitting my my driveway.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Here is where I stopped. No fun drilling fiberglass with the wind gusts we had today!

I wanted a different gas lid - yeah, I could paint the stock lid black to match the rest of the car but I decided to go back to SpeedVette.COm and purchase their offering. The gas lid far exceeded my expectations! One thing that surprised me was how heavy it was.
It was hard to take a good picture of the lid - is it so shiny but I hope you can see the quality in the picture. Well worth the $149.

This may sound like a lofty goal but I would like to have the this thing setting on the 78 by the end of the week. Not necessarily glued down but there!

Hopefully more tomorrow! Stay away wind!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (0)

So, it's been a while... any update on the Vadar Vette?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedman View Post
So, it's been a while... any update on the Vadar Vette?
Did something stupid & hurt my back. Had to hold off on Darth for a bit.

I did get some time to work on the car this morning. Lovin this weather!!!

Jeff supplied new rear filler panels with the clip to support the wider back side of the clip. First thing I did was remove the existing rear panels - dead blow hammer and a 5 in 0ne putty knife made short work of them. Got them off in less than 5 minutes.

The next step is to cut a small portion of the rear outside corner circled in this picture.

I marked out the outline of where I needed to cut shown in this shot.

Then, using a oscillating saw, I cut out the small piece. Next picture is of the area cut away

Last picture is a rough fit of the replacement filler panel.

I am only showing pictures of the driver side of the car but I did the work on both sides. I am trying to get as much work done on the existing body prior to setting the clip on it. It is much easier to do it right now then after the clip is on. Once the clip is laid in place, I can get the final location on the filler panels and bond the filler panels in place.

With the filler panels in place, I can get the clip aligned and the wheel wells centered. Then it will be time to bond the clip on permanently.

More next week!

John
Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM
United States | Addict

The back as feeling a tad better last week and I've been chomping at the bit to to ANYTHING! I purchased a bunch of serpentine pulleys, brackets and bolts off eBay and decided to powder coat them. I have a large blasting cabinet with a foot pedal so I loaded the parts and blasted the parts in shifts. Here is the Before picture:

I got a new powder from Caswell Plating - Super Wet Black. Nice stuff to work with.

After:

While I was at it, I went ahead and took care of the ZBar and a couple other items.

I have been toying with several ideas on the rear tail lights. The one that is growing on me:

WHADDAYATHINK???

The reason I went with the C6 rear clip is I liked the shape of it, not to turn the car into a C6. I am thinking of using the C6 back up lights but not 100%. Might keep it low tech and go with custom LEDs of some sort.

Sucks that I can't work on getting the rear clip mounted because just sitting and thinking of stuff just cost more $$$$$

Let me know what you think!

John

Last edited by GoVetteGo; 11-07-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
United States | Addict

I attacked a problem I had forgotten about - #4 body mount brackets. Both sides were rotted out. Here is a picture of the passenger side bracket.

I used a very thin (1/16") cutting wheel in a 18V battery drill to cut the original welds. There wasn't very much welding across the top edge which made it easier. After 15 minutes and 3 cut off wheels later, here is the results.

After a small amount of grinding on the frame welds, I clamped the new bracket in place.

Now, all I have to do is clean up the area then get the welder out to the car and weld away. Then I'll be half done!!!!

Last edited by GoVetteGo; 11-07-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
United States | n00b

Any updates ?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM
United States | Member

First time I've seen this project. Please show us more.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 AM
United States | Addict

Default Been a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post
Any updates ?
I was forced to wrapped the Vader Vette up for the winter - literally. But, with some help, made a tiny bit of progress before doing so.

While I am on "light duty" until spring, I am focusing my attention to the interior and wiring. I purchased a set of digital gauges from Intellitronix and will use their GPS for the speedo. I want to have lighted toggle switches for everything if possible - headlights, dimmer, wipers, running lights, parking lights. I am also planning PUSH to start with RFID.

I spent a few hours today researching door poppers and solenoids for the doors and maybe the hood too. I want the sleek aerodynamic look so shaving the doors is a must. Auto Loc seems to be the go to people for that kind of stuff. Plenty of "cheap" stuff on eBay but I don't think I want to go cheap in this area.

I am following along with Donnie_19's thread on his LS/Vintage Air mods. I want to use Vintage Air also but am concerned with how much room it will take up behind the center gauge area. I was planning a double din 7" LCD/stereo/GPS for that spot. We will see.

I am not very artistic but I will try to draw out my idea for the custom dash and post it up here. I think removing the rear clip will be easier!!!

John

Last edited by GoVetteGo; 10-01-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
United States | n00b

I used the C6 door latches. They have a built in manual pull that I installed under my seat like the c6. I thought about shaving the door handles but I really like the look of the old C3 door handles so I converted the C3 door handle to push a button on a push pad. It would have been even easier to do if I had just shaved them. I did have to notch into my bird cage to install the door latches. The latch on the c6 is in the birdcage and not in the door. It turned out very slick. It is super easy to open the door now. I wired it to a key-less entry and can open the door from it also. I still need to glass over the part I cut out but it won't take much.

Hopefully this link will work.

Darren

Last edited by heavy; 11-12-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
United States | Addict

Nice job Darren! I like that a lot!!! I would like to get some detail on the installation. Where did you get your parts? I could still shave the doors if the remote works the doors.

Thanks for the info.

John