Hydraulic lift cylinder pricing?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I took the hydraulic cylinder out of my four post lift last week and dropped it off at a hydraulic repair place (cylinder was leaking fluid past the seals). Got the estimate today, and it's $400+. Holy crap! Been trying to find some cylinders on-line to do some comparison (repair or buy a new one?), but haven't found any yet. Anybody know a decent source for cylinders that I can take a peek at?

Thanks!

I bet it's nothing but some O rings, I"d take it apart and have a look see anyway....the worst is you need find the mfgr, and contact them for specialized parts, like rings/etc.....

:drink:

They are very easy to rebuild.
Get it back, take it apart, measure the piston groves etc and look up similar styles of seals. Probably will be u cup seals. Parker seals are one of the best.
If you need help, post some pics with some dimensions.
Check the barrel bore gouging, but most have used guides so that should not be the case.

Plumbing in a fluid filter somehow.

Got the cylinder rebuilt. It had some scratches in the bore that needed refinishing. I'm a bit paranoid now that there's some crap in the reservoir or elsewhere that caused the scratches, and I don't want to damage the cylinder again. I need to figure out how to plumb in a filter to catch some of any possible crap that might remain in the system.

Usually there is a filter mounted on the hydraulic pump intake inside the fluid reservoir. Depending on the type of pump you have, its age ect. The filter typically will be made of steel, brass,or plastic. Steel lines are used in older pumps and in newer pumps a clear flexible hose will be used with the filter attached to the bottom of the tube using a compression clamp. Also in older units regular hydraulic oil is common, in newer ones automatic transmission fluid is used. If you replace or add a filter there make sure you use a filter for the right type of fluid. I hope this helps.

Having a pressure filter (return line) is ALWAYS best, but in lower pressure, intermittent use applications like this, seldom used. More than likely your have a suction screen in the tank at the pump inlet, probably 100 microns. Most are, but down to 20 micron are available.
Easiest is just to use a fine a one as you can find and then use a few strong magnets to catch the nasty particles it doesn't.
With this it will easily outlive you with daily use.

Cleaning the system and tank with diesel or gas is adequate.
Just get the cheapest hyd oil (same as tranny fluid in this app) at the local farm store. Both just have anti foaming agents for this purpose.

You can check Donaldson or Baldwin spinon filters and housings if you want to get more creative. You might find deals used on farm or heavy equipment junk yards.

Late to the party with this tidbit, but inexpensively modding your cylinder piston to accept a polymer wear band will eliminate cylinder bore scoring.