need to solve a surge tank problem

That type valve vents to atmosphere and is OK for the main tank but since I'm continuously pumping to the surge tank I'll have to have a return line to the main tank. If you use a surge tank with a float valve you could use that type of vent.

Grampy

WHY would anyone need to use TWO pumps??? I fail to see the need,

I blocked off the mechanical pump years ago, and never looked back....

two electric pumps is just weird.....

the pump sets on the frame rail lower than the tanks, one drains into the other, and fuel returns to the lower/smaller tank.....vents are run parallel to the evap can.....simple/quick/easy.....

:eek:

The design for my 50 Buick includes 2 pumps.... I can't speak to anyone else's reason; however we're doing it because I can turn up the boost and run methanol or alcohol. Or, I suppose, the real reason - we want 2500 hp; and that requires a huge amount of fuel.... all controlled electronically so it can drive on 87 Octane fuel or race fuel when we turn it up to 11.

That type valve vents to atmosphere and is OK for the main tank but since I'm continuously pumping to the surge tank I'll have to have a return line to the main tank. If you use a surge tank with a float valve you could use that type of vent.

Grampy

the pump sets on the frame rail lower than the tanks, one drains into the other, and fuel returns to the lower/smaller tank.....vents are run parallel to the evap can.....simple/quick/easy.....

The design for my 50 Buick includes 2 pumps.... I can't speak to anyone else's reason; however we're doing it because I can turn up the boost and run methanol or alcohol. Or, I suppose, the real reason - we want 2500 hp; and that requires a huge amount of fuel.... all controlled electronically so it can drive on 87 Octane fuel or race fuel when we turn it up to 11.

:smash: OH, Hammer time.....:noworry:

Grampy

:smash: OH, Hammer time.....:noworry:

We're Americans, we can make bricks fly and lead scream :)

it takes me a long time to do anything

I finished the surge tank. Original gas tank was modified with two 9/16th holes for return line fittings. The surge tank mounts on the frame behind the right rear tire. The external low pressure pump is fed from the tank and fills the surge tank. The high pressure pump is internal. The ports on the cover are a vent back to the tank and high pressure outlet to the new fuel line. The old fuel line is the return from the regulator.

Grampy

Attachments

• IMG_0261small.jpg
    IMG_0261small.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0267small.jpg
    IMG_0267small.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 31
I finished the surge tank. Original gas tank was modified with two 9/16th holes for return line fittings. The surge tank mounts on the frame behind the right rear tire. The external low pressure pump is fed from the tank and fills the surge tank. The high pressure pump is internal. The ports on the cover are a vent back to the tank and high pressure outlet to the new fuel line. The old fuel line is the return from the regulator.

Grampy
Impressive workmanship, no wonder it took you time to get it done.