Welding stainless steel to mild steel.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Got a simple question. I'm putting 3" stainless steel exhaust tips on the '69 (instead of chrome tips) and need to attach them to the mild steel pipes.

IM001586-1.jpg

I don't want to use any clamps, and would prefer to just put two or three short weld beads at the interface to hold them (The tips slide over the expanded ends of the pipes, rather than needing a butt weld). I know they say to use a stainless rod when welding to SS, but I'm trying to just use my MIG as I have to do it on the car to make sure that the tips are straight and rotated correctly. I did a test weld on some SS and mild steel scraps and things look acceptable, but is there any long term cracking issues? (I don't want one of the tips to fall off on the track.)

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,
Mike

How about drilling a couple of holes in the SS tips and doing a plug weld? That will weld to the mild steel pipe and make a "pin" out thru the SS tip. Keep if from falling off. Just a thought.
I suspect the SS the tips are made of is pretty close to the bottom of the SS food chain, just polished.

It will not be a problem, I have done just that so many times, never had it crack.

It will not be a problem, I have done just that so many times, never had it crack.

:1st: My muffler man down the street done it with a MIG...countless times....

and been on my stock muffs with stainless tips for over ten years now...

:shocking::p

309 wire works great :thumbs:

I have a 1lb spool .030" 309 Mig wire - If you like to try it let me know.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys. I appreciate it.

Karsten, thanks for the offer. If it wasn't so far across town I'd take you up on the offer. Looks like I'll just put a few mild steel beads on it and call it a day.

Thanks again, everyone!