Question on MIG welder use

Practice on some 1/8" x 2" wide scrap pieces until you can put them in a vice and use whatever to try bend them in a "u" shape without the weld breaking.
Then you've become a pro. :bounce:

Practice on some 1/8" x 2" wide scrap pieces until you can put them in a vice and use whatever to try bend them in a "u" shape without the weld breaking.
Then you've become a pro. :bounce:

My plan exactly!! :thumbs:

Just wondering....do you see any aluminum welding in your future?

Not really. Did you have something in mind? I don't know of much aluminum that came on a C3.

not sure where he was going but if you get a MIG welder with a spool gun capability it will give you the ability to weld aluminum in the future.

That's where I was going. I am not a welder, but was looking at this a while back..few hundred more but comes with the spool gun.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482227_200482227

There's a thread on here that bird started about aluminum parts that got me thinking.

Just wondering....do you see any aluminum welding in your future?

Not really. Did you have something in mind? I don't know of much aluminum that came on a C3.

not sure where he was going but if you get a MIG welder with a spool gun capability it will give you the ability to weld aluminum in the future.

That's where I was going. I am not a welder, but was looking at this a while back..few hundred more but comes with the spool gun.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482227_200482227

There's a thread on here that bird started about aluminum parts that got me thinking.

That's $400 more than the one I'm looking at and needs a 220 line. Can't go with that. :(

I have a Miller 175 MIG (no spool gun) and I have welded aluminum with it. It's trickier but it can be done.

[That's $400 more than the one I'm looking at and needs a 220 line. Can't go with that. :(

look for used welders and really evaluate where and how much you are going to be welding, the more expensive ones have dual 120/240 capabilites.

but some times the amount of welding you do is limited and doing it with an extension from the dryer isnt a bad thing, you just have to rearrange where you do your welding from the garage to a different location. i did this for probaly 15yrs with my 220welders until i got the 220 in my garage. I have a dual power (120/240) feed lincoln invertec 155s stick/tig welder that is pretty sweet. you may have other options then just MIG. the inverter technology creates great stick welds

Last edited:
[That's $400 more than the one I'm looking at and needs a 220 line. Can't go with that. :(

look for used welders and really evaluate where and how much you are going to be welding, the more expensive ones have dual 120/240 capabilites.

but some times the amount of welding you do is limited and doing it with an extension from the dryer isnt a bad thing, you just have to rearrange where you do your welding from the garage to a different location. i did this for probaly 15yrs with my 220welders until i got the 220 in my garage. I have a dual power (120/240) feed lincoln invertec 155s stick/tig welder that is pretty sweet. you may have other options then just MIG. the inverter technology creates great stick welds

Nope, it's just not practical for me. :)

Does that Hobart have a potentiometer for the amperage selection? Growing up, my dad had a Lincoln 140 that only had 4 heat ranges so you couldn't dial it in very well. Range 3 was too cold, and range 4 just blew through sheet metal. I ended up buying a Miller 211 with auto set and am glad I paid the extra money for it. The other nice thing is that the 211 is a dual voltage machine. The no-so-nice thing is that I think I paid about $1350 for it with some extra tips and a bottle of 75%/25% gas.