Budget LS-like rebuild base : LQ4 or LH6

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
Let's say you plan building a Gen3+ engine on a shoestring budget from a scrapyard truck engine.
Would you go for a 5.3L Aluminum LH6 (LH8, LH9,LC9) or a 6.0L Iron LQ4(LQ9) engine?

Interesting question. Would you happen to know the weight of the engines?

Interesting question. Would you happen to know the weight of the engines?
IIRC:
Gen III alum block is 90lb lighter than iron GenI.
Gen III iron block is 30lb lighter than iron GenI.
60lbs difference.

All I know is that my son out in Ca. bought a LS engine of some 4.x displacement, from a junkyard in Florida, believe it or not, shipped to his location in Oakland? Berzerkly, across the river.....and put it into his wife's father's 57 chebby pickup.....and it runs fine of course 500 bux on his doorstep, with delivered and a smile.....can't beat THAT with a stick.....

NOW how in the HELL that guy here in West FLORIDA could make a dime with shipping an ENGINE to Berzerkly for 500 bux, is more Berzerk than the college..... :smash::surrender:

I am about to start rebuilding a '05 Silverado 5.3 and discovered a great source of information at Ls1 Tech.com. They have specs on everything and the same helpful group of builders as here at Vettemod.

http://ls1tech.com

Also, there is a great series on rebuilding a LS engine step by step, in 10 utube videos at:

carburetorssuck.com

I am about to start rebuilding a '05 Silverado 5.3 and discovered a great source of information at Ls1 Tech.com. They have specs on everything and the same helpful group of builders as here at Vettemod.

Signed up yesterday :thumbs:

Also, there is a great series on rebuilding a LS engine step by step, in 10 utube videos at:

carburetorssuck.com
I just had a quick look but it look pretty cool.
I will watch it for sure. Thanks!

I cannot recommend reading the stickies in the "conversions and hybrids" section enough. Everything you need to know about Gen III and IV are there for the swapper.

What are your plans for the engine? Boost, big cam, head options all vary, but more or less can all get the same job done. 5.3's seem to be popular with the boost crowd because they can stuff a lot of fuel and air in there and they tend to be cheaper than the higher displacement engines. However, I've heard big boost (somewhere north of 10 psi) the Al blocks start to show their weakness. The Irons keep going.

I believe Gary68 used an LQ9 out of an Escalade. He also used an old school transmission, IIRC. I believe a Doug Nash 6-speed. He could probably shine some light for you.

I read somewhere a long time ago there are a few years of truck engines--somewhere near the year 2000--that CANNOT mate to a manual. I don't recall why, but I'd look into that if that's a concern.

Is this going in the vette? Keep in mind the truck intakes are pretty damn tall and don't fit under a stock small block hood. And I believe if you change intakes, you have to change the water pump, injectors and fuel rails as well.

I cannot recommend reading the stickies in the "conversions and hybrids" section enough. Everything you need to know about Gen III and IV are there for the swapper.
I will.
What are your plans for the engine? Boost, big cam, head options all vary, but more or less can all get the same job done. 5.3's seem to be popular with the boost crowd because they can stuff a lot of fuel and air in there and they tend to be cheaper than the higher displacement engines. However, I've heard big boost (somewhere north of 10 psi) the Al blocks start to show their weakness. The Irons keep going.
400 to 500 smooth HPs.
No boost.
LM7 5.3 block seems to be boreable up to 5.7, since I'll build from a tired old engine, machine job will be mandatory anyway.
I believe Gary68 used an LQ9 out of an Escalade. He also used an old school transmission, IIRC. I believe a Doug Nash 6-speed. He could probably shine some light for you.
I'm talking with him on a siamese thread on the dark side.
I read somewhere a long time ago there are a few years of truck engines--somewhere near the year 2000--that CANNOT mate to a manual. I don't recall why, but I'd look into that if that's a concern.

Is this going in the vette? Keep in mind the truck intakes are pretty damn tall and don't fit under a stock small block hood. And I believe if you change intakes, you have to change the water pump, injectors and fuel rails as well.
Interesting detail about the mating, I think I've read something similar. I'll check this out.
For sure intake will go. Will put LS1 intake in case of LM7, LS3 in case of LQ4.