Braided Fuel Line recommendation?

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
So I'm looking into fuel line for the LS1. I don't plan on using my hardlines due to age and location and I would like to run -6 braided from the tank to the rail.

I've read here and elsewhere (as well as seen) that braided and regular low pressure fuel hose cannot handle today's fuel with ethanol mixed in. I have had a few hose harden and crack on me (within a year) due to my local fuel (about 10% ethanol here). I plan on going with Teflon/PTFE braided hose,but it can be very expensive. However, I've found 3 brands that I was curious what you all thought of.

I found this one looking at intake parts. I googled them, but found no info:
Shaman Equipment

Just searching on summit for these:

Aeroquip

Fragola

The aeroquip is the only brand that I recognize, but it is by far the most expensive. The shaman hose is the cheapest and is the lowest rated (1500 psi). I am concerned this might be the textbook case for you get what you pay for, but I have to ask how much could it really vary?

Should I go with the name brand or go with one of the others?

Thanks again guys :beer:

I can't comment about the other brands but I made all my new fuel and oil lines from Aeroquip braided hose and assorted Aeroqiop fittings. I have used Aeroquip in the past and I know it's good stuff. I fabricated hoses for non standard applications on the BOSS (Hydroboost, Jeep box, P/s cooler, tranny cooler, fuel lines) so I only wanted to have to make them once. Aeroquip was more expensive but I knew it would work without any problems.

What price have you been quoted for what length hose?

I used this stuff for all my applications. I wanted to use it for the hydro so bought enough for everything as it's specs covered everything I needed

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products_old/accessories.html

Other stuff available though:
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/aqp1.htm

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...dHose-6/Aeroquip_Stainless_Steel_Braided_Hose

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-3-...60049986QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts#ht_3570wt_769

I bought most of my fittings from this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AERO...54fQQitemZ330264491343QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

If you buy everything from one place, you're sure to get a bit of a discount too.

Do not use cheap fuel line. In short order, the lines will seep gas and you will get a strong fuel smell, it's not just annoying it's dangerous. You get what you pay for in fuel line, cheap isn't always good.

We only sell Redhorse or XRP for this reason, if I won't put it on my car, we won't tell you to put it on your car.

Seriously, I know a number of people who went with cheap line and had to redo it within a year. Don't shop price on this stuff.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was leaning towards going aeroquip (out of the three) just because of the name, but wasn't sure if quality really fluctuated from brand to brand. I expected the answer to be "stick wit hthe good stuff." I am on a strict budget, so I couldn't pass up a potential cost saver if it gave me no penalty in quality. No such thing as free lunch though.

Saudi, the prices were as follows:
Aeroquip: 20' ($121.95), per ft. (~$6.10)
Fragola: 20' ($75.95), per ft. (~$3.80)
Shaman: 20' (~$69.80), per ft. ($3.49)

Looks like that second place you gave me (stock car products) is $5.50 per ft. for aeroquip teflon -6. Better than summit, so I'll have to contact them.

Jsup, tell me about Redhorse and XRP, please. Is it better than aeroquip? What is your price per ft?

Thanks again!

fragola is junk.

Aeroquip & XRP are exopensive but quality. FI you want the best bang for the buck, get some russel or earls stuff.

IMO XRP is one of the nicest designs out there with the fitting cutting in between the hose and the liner but it can be a a bitch to assemble, just like aeroquip. The earls and russel fittings are older designs but much easier to put together and just fine for a street car. Keep the length of hose to a minimum anyway, if you can do hard line, do it!

I've been looking into russel and earls, but it seems their teflon hoses are harder to find. The aeroquip hose is pretty common. I'm still looking into XRP.

What is involved with assembling the Aeroquip hoses that's a pain? I found this tool on summit which doesn't have much of a description.
Also, if I use Aeroquip's teflon hose, I have to use Aeroquip's teflon hose fittings, right? Or could I use regular Aeroquip AN fittings?

I would like to use hardline, but I would have to route new lines and I'm not sure if I have that kind of skill nor the tools necessary. I'm not really even sure where to start with hard lines. I feel doing braided the whole length should be fine and my losses should be lower since I plan on using teflon hose. I've been wrong before though.

TT,
I did a little more research on hard lines. Would Al lines be acceptable? If so, that seems like a great way to. I think I can run that easily and I think it will even save me money. I found a Russell adapter as well that could work.

However, if I need SS hard line, then that's a different story. I would need to double flare the ends, right? I don't have a tool for that and I also don't know what kind of fitting to use on the end.

2 Questions Please

Do not use cheap fuel line. In short order, the lines will seep gas and you will get a strong fuel smell, it's not just annoying it's dangerous. You get what you pay for in fuel line, cheap isn't always good.

We only sell Redhorse or XRP for this reason, if I won't put it on my car, we won't tell you to put it on your car.

Seriously, I know a number of people who went with cheap line and had to redo it within a year. Don't shop price on this stuff.

1. Just wondering - is PTFE a BAD choice? There are more than a few on eBay selling braided s/s over PTFE and Nylon over PTFE. Prices seem better than NAMED BRAND Aeroquip.

2. Next, regards FITTINGS; Redhorse and Aeroquip - both Branded - sell:
press-on fittings,
threaded "olive joint style", and
crimp-on fittings -- as well as a host of other suppliers.

General thoughts, comments on each ?

Thanks - and cheers - Jim

Jim, I have used PTFE lines for fuel and have had success. PTFE lines are typically for hydraulic applications. But it depends on the PTFE. The stuff I used had a PTFE liner which was STIFFER than a McDonalds straw. And yes, that was very expensive. Cost me $140 for about 3 feet, with compressed fittings put on the end of them.

Will work, not as flexible, and not cheap.

I've been looking into russel and earls, but it seems their teflon hoses are harder to find. The aeroquip hose is pretty common. I'm still looking into XRP.

What is involved with assembling the Aeroquip hoses that's a pain? I found this tool on summit which doesn't have much of a description.
Also, if I use Aeroquip's teflon hose, I have to use Aeroquip's teflon hose fittings, right? Or could I use regular Aeroquip AN fittings?

I would like to use hardline, but I would have to route new lines and I'm not sure if I have that kind of skill nor the tools necessary. I'm not really even sure where to start with hard lines. I feel doing braided the whole length should be fine and my losses should be lower since I plan on using teflon hose. I've been wrong before though.

Russel and Earls are comparable in quality. NOT BAD. I carry Russel and Fagora but will not sell the Fagora. If you like Russel I can do that.

Without a doubt, XRP is top knotch. The reason it's not on my site yet, is I can't get pictures from XRP. Red Horse is great quality, that is listed. I feel my prices on RH are very competitive.

IMO stick with what is proven. Now, I am ALWAYS in search of that unknown really good product, see my ECU tests. When it comes to fittings, I would use Russel, but nothing of lesser quality than that.

If I can get pictures from Russel, I'll put those up, get me a part number and I'll get you pricing. I just got their new price list this week..

Hard line is better, but requires a double flare.

I did a little more research on hard lines. Would Al lines be acceptable? If so, that seems like a great way to. I think I can run that easily and I think it will even save me money.

However, if I need SS hard line, then that's a different story. I would need to double flare the ends, right? I don't have a tool for that and I also don't know what kind of fitting to use on the end.

I wouldn't use aluminum lines for fuel.

If you buy seamless tubing, you don't need to double flare.

I have used alu for fuel, just use lots and lots of adel clamps to keep the line from vibrating and I always use a bulkhead on the end w/ a tab on the frame so that the hose and hose end don't twist or bend the fuel line.

Thanks for all your help guys.

This is getting deep. I have to admit I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Let me see if I can break this down and ask simpler questions, because there is a lot I don't know/understand. Please excuse my ignorance, guys.

Hard line:
-Al tubing: If used, fasten it well. Easily bent and shaped, should use a bulkhead connector (How do these work, TT? I've seen them, but not sure how they connect/ what hardware is recommended). Would I need a flare nut on the tube end, like a brake line? What kind of flare nut, if needed?

-SS tubing: I would love to run this, but where do I get the proper tool to flare the ends? Do I still need a bulk head connector (probably good practice)? Do I need as flare nut here as well? What kind?

Flex line:

-In General: Use PTFE hose (most likely aeroquip), I'll use PTFE hose ends (matching the hose brand), but from there I'll intermix regular AN hardware no less quality than Russell. Jsup, I am concerned with the amount of flex in the hose. There are some sections I'll need some give. I plan on emulating this set up on my fuel pump. Will I be able to?

-Full system as flex hose: Easiest set up, but concerned about flex. Also I will have to make my own hoses for the length.

-flex hose only used between fuel pump to frame and frame to fuel rail: Could get custom pre-made hoses to my specified length (if cheaper and/or easier), flex less of a concern because I can put on 45°/90° hose ends to help at junctions.

General questions:
Where to get a good flaring tool and tubing bender, especially if I use SS hard line?
The bulk head connectors seem to have 3 threaded sections. I would guess the middle is to mount it to a tab, the others to the respective lines?
How does a tube sleeve and tube nut work and should I be looking into that?

Jsup,
I have an outline for my fuel system, but it was based on not using hard line. Once I get an idea of how I'm running my fuel system, I'll make a parts list and send it to you.

Any comments would be great! Thanks again, my friends. I really don't know what I would do without you guys.

I tried all the cheap 37 degree tools and couldn't get good results. I finally bought a Ridgid flare tool (catalog #41162, model #377) for about $100 and it works great.

I used it with annealed seamless stainless tubing.

$100 isn't bad in my eyes. Now that would be a single flare right? Would I use an inverted flare nut to fasten it to an adapter? What did you use to bend the SS line?

Thanks BBShark :thumbs:

Yeah the Ridgid tool is a bargain. I used a tubing bender with long offset arms that worked easy with the SS tube. Don't know what brand but it has a sticker that says "Blue Dot" on it. I also made a bending jig for a tight U bend I had to make on the intake. The SS tube is annealed and bends pretty easily once.

All mine are single flares. The tubing is seamless, I bought it from McMaster-Carr.

I did use a short teflon lined Aeroquip hose from the intake to the frame since the engine moves (in relation to the frame).

Yeah the Ridgid tool is a bargain. I used a tubing bender with long offset arms that worked easy with the SS tube. Don't know what brand but it has a sticker that says "Blue Dot" on it. The SS tube is annealed and bends pretty easily once.

Maybe I should have bought the Rigid flare tool, I have a Grey tool and struggled to make double flares in 3/8" steel line.
The best bender I found is from Rigid (same ones used to bend 316 SS in the power plant I'm at)

Yeah the Ridgid tool is a bargain. I used a tubing bender with long offset arms that worked easy with the SS tube. Don't know what brand but it has a sticker that says "Blue Dot" on it. The SS tube is annealed and bends pretty easily once.

Maybe I should have bought the Rigid flare tool, I have a Grey tool and struggled to make double flares in 3/8" steel line.
The best bender I found is from Rigid (same ones used to bend 316 SS in the power plant I'm at)

It doesn't look to me like that will do a 45 double flare. I have been spoiled and now insist on my hydraulic flaring tool.

Really by the time you buy a nice kit like the Rigid for doing 37's and a nice kit for doing 45 doubles it isn't that much more to buy a hydraulic kit. Then when you throw in the fact that you can do bubble flares and GM push connections the hydraulic kits worth the money.