Guys I need a quik answer on how to fix this fuel line asap

JeffP1167

This is on my 97 3.8 camaro. The fuel lines come up through the wheel wells in the engine compartment and then pass in front of the coils and connect to the fuel rails with a quik disconnect fitting. These appear to be some sort of nylon/plastic line, at any rate the feed line has a pin hole and is spraying a stream of fuel .... Can a brass compression fitting be used on these lines and anyone know how to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail as in what tool is used?

The tool is a scissor looking thing with a round end that slides into the connector and spreads the clips. Different sizes so you need to watch that.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...46AD314000E427E37BFC98CDDBD1007E54A49&first=0

Not sure about the leak. I think I'd look at cutting the line and using a barb connector and double clamp it on each side. Check around- someone may have a better idea.

so it isn't like a/c connectors with that spring that you have to expand

I got the line off but it is a very thin wall plastic hose so guess I'm gonna have to go to government motors to get this thing. No wonder GM went broke they can't even make a fuel line that can last!

Think I am going to go to hosemart and see if they can make me braided line or something that still uses the stock connectors for the fuel rails. This is pathetic for GM to even have considered something like this for fuel line and when it pops sprays fuel right on the ignition coils! Either way plastic lines ain't going back on the car again!

While I'm on that subject

F&%K Barack has a good sound to it don't it!

NAPA sells that plastic line and repair parts.

I'm just going to look into stinless steel lines or have them made. Not going to deal with these lines again, mine are brittle and when you try to do anything with them they just split open. Probably these new additives california has mandated in fuels deteriorates them in some way.

I am surprised at the fuel pressure these car have GM as well as other car makers don't just tack on a extra what 250 bucks to a cars price for stainless steel fuel lines. But what sense would that make right! Heck maybe we will see nascar trust there cars to nylon fuel lines so we can have some real action on the tracks.

Here is the fitting that connect to the fuel rail. I'm not sure what the fitting is like under the car though. Apperently these lines are around 80" from what I have heard.

The feed line is believed to be 3/8th and the return 5/16th. Any ideas on how to get stainless steel lines to work with these?

DSCF1086.jpg

Here are the barbs for the quik disconnect fitting.

DSCF1087.jpg

I would rework the metal ends, and use Aeroquip hose with heavy clamps from your local industrial hose supplier.....

Okay, I came across these LT1 an fuel rail fittings and the tool listed to remove them is the same one I bought to remove my fittings.

Sorry to say but there is just no way I can comprehend having my son in this car after seeing the coilpacks being doused in fuel so even if it costs me 300 bucks to change to stainless steel line so be it! I also refuse to use hose clamps so what else would be needed?

It is my understanding these plastic lines are around 80" each but no clue what kind of connector is used under the car.

any help on how to make this work is greatly appreciated !!!!

here are the LT1 connectors I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retrofit-LT...cessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c1edc2031&afsrc=1

Well, I went to hose man yesterday and he fixed me right up with 300psi 5/16 & 3/8 fuel line and used my original quik disconnect fittings and nice band crimps to seal the hoses.

Total cost was 102 bucks but that included doing the fuel filter to sending unit hose as well, took a total of I think 36 feet of hose. This should end the plastic line fiasco and I won't have to worry about my coilpack being doused in fuel again.

I will let you all know how the fit the car and take some pics.

here is the 3/8th's feed line

DSCF1088.jpg

here is the 5/16th's return line

DSCF1089.jpg

here is a closeup of the crimps used

DSCF1092.jpg

There is a few mods you have to do to get the lines to fit

Use a larger black plastic sheath

use a razor to open up the strut tower gromet

re-apply the warning labels

route hoses a bit different

but it works and so far no leaks .... excellent modification and much better then stock.

DSCF1096.jpg

DSCF1097.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1109.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

DSCF1107.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

total bill was 125.00 .... I think the factory junk is 75-90 for all the lines, this should get the car through the rest of it's life at any rate.

good to see you got it fixed.... i noticed these plastic connectors when I changed the fuel filter on my Camaro a few years ago, don't like plastic :sweat: