49 state verses california cat converters ????

JeffP1167

I am trying to buy a front Y-pipe with cat converters for my 2000 ford windstar. It apparently at some point in it's time was in michigan (was a rental minivan) anyways I know of the CARB numbers found on california cats but do any of you know if there is internally a difference?

My main problem is my whole exhaust is rusted out (luckily no other rust found on the minivan) anyways I purchased the entire catback system and all hangers gaskets and clamps for 340.00 and figured may as well just replace the front y-pipe and not worry about it ever again. I use the van a lot for hauling my son around so yes a leak free exhaust is important.

I see some ebay auctions but then it states will not ship to california. I have looked up AP exhaust products, magnaflow, walker and even if they do say for california & federal emissions they still will not ship to california registered vehicles.

For instance this picture is ap exhaust products it shows two front y-pipe listings for 642691 federal and 642782 california. yet when you go to the description 642782 it states this!

Catalytic Converter 1
Direct Fit Converter; (exc. w/ mid-bed O2 sensor); Federal Emission vehicles. Not legal for sale for vehicles licensed in California.

Catalytic Converter 1
Direct Fit Converter; (Calif. Emissions); California Emission vehicles licensed in states other than California. Not legal for sale for vehicles licensed in California.

100275.jpg

Have it shipped to a buddy outta state, maybe xfer him the money like it's his purchase....you go get it, or have him repack the shit and send to you....

cut in sections if necessary so to fit in a box of some sort, you have to reweld then.....PIA I know, ......

Fucking EPA CARB bullshit, as if it ever made any difference.....

:nuts::crylol::crap:

Have it shipped to a buddy outta state, maybe xfer him the money like it's his purchase....you go get it, or have him repack the shit and send to you....

cut in sections if necessary so to fit in a box of some sort, you have to reweld then.....PIA I know, ......

Fucking EPA CARB bullshit, as if it ever made any difference.....

:nuts::crylol::crap:

Well, one forseen problem with that is I really don't want to change it myself. So the problem there is NO muffler shop in California will install it either. Probably have to find someone in Nevada or Arizona to have it shipped to and then drive there and have it installed.

You think all these bullshit laws in California might have something to do with why the state is broke and jobs are hard to come by :crap::crap:

Jeff,

If what you are buying is an original exhaust or replacement for a no longer available original exhaust for the car, then it should be no problem having it installed here in California. If the car is a 49 state car, put a 49 state exhaust on it. It was built that way so that is what is legal in California. Shops will typically not do things that are illegal, but this does not sound like the case.

As for Ebay, let the seller know what you are doing, many I have found will deviate from what they have posted if a rational is given to them. (I may not have followed your post well.)

As for the smog, I grew up in San Bernardino in the '60's. The smog sucked. Nevertheless, all the BS here drives work out of the state and out of the US altogether.

George

It has always been explained to me like this at training classes.

The 50 state is basically the OEM converter. Made out to the same stuff inside and should last about the same amount of time as the original converter.

The 49 state converter is still leagle in 49 of the states and is made out of a little different material. Life span of the 49 state converter is less than OEM, but still has a good life span. Say 80,000 miles on the average vehicle.

The universal is an even cheaper converter made out of different materials yet and has a much shorter life span.

We normally use 49 state converters as direct replacements at work and have good success with them.