Question on MIG welder use

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
I'm pretty sure I am going to buy a MIG welder in the not-too-distant future. Looking at the Hobart 140:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306073_200306073

Now for the question. If I decide to change out my rear end to a sold axle unit, I am gonna need to do some welding to make it work. Here is the kit I was looking at:

http://autofabcart.net/1968-1982corvettesoildrearconversion4-linkkit.aspx

Now the questions....would the welder I am looking at be adequate or appropriate for welding this rear end? Is a MIG welder powerful enough to weld something like this in? Is it something I should be thinking about doing myself or better left to pros? Bear in mind there ARE NO "pros" anyplace close by. I would have to trailer things to Texas or Arizona. :(

Yes, Up to 1/4" steel.

Practice on a piece and we'll tell you if you should be welding on your car. You do look like a boilermaker.

If i wasn't such a cheap fuck i would have bought something that would weld aluminum like that.

Yes, Up to 1/4" steel.

Practice on a piece and we'll tell you if you should be welding on your car. You do look like a boilermaker.

If i wasn't such a cheap fuck i would have bought something that would weld aluminum like that.

YOU BITCH!!!! YOU will NEVER out cheep ME!!!! NEVER....

:harhar::devil:

The welder is good enough for welding that kit in place - but practice first !!! Make sure you get root penetration. Practice on some scrap metal, turn that over and inspect the root. Once you know what settings to use to get good penetration you're good to go. When you weld that kit in place, make sure all the steel is clean. And weld "up", not "down" when you weld vertical.

Thanks a ton for the advice from everyone. I really appreciate it!!
thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

Now the questions....would the welder I am looking at be adequate or appropriate for welding this rear end? Is a MIG welder powerful enough to weld something like this in? Is it something I should be thinking about doing myself or better left to pros? Bear in mind there ARE NO "pros" anyplace close by. I would have to trailer things to Texas or Arizona. :(

Things to think about
Don't think of using the fluxcore end of it. Pure garbage welds.
-in order to do shielded, you'll need to obtain a bottle(s) of gas and of course wire.
-don't think about using .035 wire, way too big, despite what they say.
-20% duty cycle, 2 minutes out of every 10 minutes and if you don't stick to that, the welds drop off dramatically. for serious mig stuff I use my neighbors 250amp 60% Miller.
-all the accessories, gloves, leathers?, helmet etc.
If that's all you will weld, then try and find a machine to even rent.

Surely there is a pro welding supply within a reasonable distance, they can turn you onto a great welder maybe even mobil one. Pay by the hour if possible.
Another option is a local gear head club, someone sure to have a welder and can be your new best friend.

I've got a Hobart 150, 220v, 30% cycle shielded with Stargon gas. Works really well no complaints, friend gave it to me a while ago, but I much prefer TIG.
Also got a stand alone Miller stick. Don't rule out one of them either.
At my age, similar to yours, unless I had a lot or recurring use, I wouldn't buy one.

Things to think about
Don't think of using the fluxcore end of it. Pure garbage welds.
-in order to do shielded, you'll need to obtain a bottle(s) of gas and of course wire.
-don't think about using .035 wire, way too big, despite what they say.
-20% duty cycle, 2 minutes out of every 10 minutes and if you don't stick to that, the welds drop off dramatically. for serious mig stuff I use my neighbors 250amp 60% Miller.
-all the accessories, gloves, leathers?, helmet etc.
If that's all you will weld, then try and find a machine to even rent.

Surely there is a pro welding supply within a reasonable distance, they can turn you onto a great welder maybe even mobil one. Pay by the hour if possible.
Another option is a local gear head club, someone sure to have a welder and can be your new best friend.

I've got a Hobart 150, 220v, 30% cycle shielded with Stargon gas. Works really well no complaints, friend gave it to me a while ago, but I much prefer TIG.
Also got a stand alone Miller stick. Don't rule out one of them either.
At my age, similar to yours, unless I had a lot or recurring use, I wouldn't buy one.

LOL...you don't know Silver City,NM :D
Yes, there is a welding supply place. And there are tool places, although not sure they rent welders. No local gearhead clubs in this town. Also no machine shops. 220volt is probably not going to be an option. If i ever get my garage built, it will only have 120 line. And I would need a 100 foot line to go from the clothes dryer to the garage. TIG is out of the question. I am too old a dawg to learn new tricks or new careers. Accessories are no problemo.

You know.... For 1/4" steel a $200 stick welder is an option too, very easy to use and you get better penetration than with a small MIG. With the MIG you might have to do three passes on the thick material.... Wait, the frame isn't 1/4", maybe 1/8" ....

LOL...you don't know Silver City,NM :D

Reminds me of a friend of mine that was trying to convince his wife to go out in the country one nite away from the city lites to look at the stars. He went on and on about how much better the sky would look.
She just looked at him and said "Remember, I grew up in New Mexico", Pretty well ended that conversation. :smash:

I did a quick google for "mobil welders" and some popped up. If there's any oil field work out there and these guys are certified for gas lines, then that's some of the best welding you'll ever find. Probably be stick, but from the looks of it no more than a couple hours tops, if prep is already done. Won't even have to move the car and no power needed.
Years ago we had a diesel Miller on a 4 x 4 Chevy 1 ton, needed nothing that wasn't on the truck.
Might be worth getting some prices.

I agree, the mobil welders is worth looking into. I would think that there's some pipeline work going on anywhere in NM.... these welders will be top notch if they're certified for oil or gas lines then you're golden.... but they sure won't have a clue how to align your parts :smash:
You could get everything aligned and tack weld it in place with a cheap $89 WalMart stick welder (or flux core for that matter), then get the mobile guys out there to weld it all for good..... this will provide excellent results and cost you less than the MIG welder plus gas AND you'll still have the $89 flux core welder in case you want to weld some shelves for your garage.... :smash:

You guys don't know workers in NM either. A hint...they are NOT friendly types.:hunter:

How is it that we went from "The welder is good enough for welding that kit in place" to me needing a stick welder and hiring out the work to outsiders who don't much like gringos??:bonkers:

How is it that we went from "The welder is good enough for welding that kit in place" to me needing a stick welder and hiring out the work to outsiders who don't much like gringos??:bonkers:

Well... the welder is good enough to get this job done, however it's going to be almost $700 by the time you buy the gas and the bottle.... cheaper to have somebody do it for you IF this is the only time you need the welder... if you make welding your new hobby the yes, buy the welder...
Then again, if this is a one time use you can get this done with a cheap stick welder and spend maybe $150 instead of $600+

Just throwing out options..... doesn't hurt to know your options before you make a decision.....

Not knocking any potential talents, but I would hate to hear of you crossing the traps with asphalt rash on your hiney.

After all, you did infer a learning curve. :bump:

Well... the welder is good enough to get this job done, however it's going to be almost $700 by the time you buy the gas and the bottle.... cheaper to have somebody do it for you IF this is the only time you need the welder... if you make welding your new hobby the yes, buy the welder...
Then again, if this is a one time use you can get this done with a cheap stick welder and spend maybe $150 instead of $600+

Just throwing out options..... doesn't hurt to know your options before you make a decision.....

I have seen cheap stick welders. I'll pass on that option. Better off using crazy glue. Remember I also need to weld the clutch bracket on. So welder will get more use than a one shot deal. Probably will need more welding in the future too.

Not knocking any potential talents, but I would hate to hear of you crossing the traps with asphalt rash on your hiney.

After all, you did infer a learning curve. :bump:

And hiring a bunch of illegal aliens is some kind of guarantee I will be safe? I don't think so.:huh:

I have seen cheap stick welders. I'll pass on that option. Better off using crazy glue. Remember I also need to weld the clutch bracket on. So welder will get more use than a one shot deal. Probably will need more welding in the future too.

Then the MIG setup is your best option, once you have a welder you'll be surprised how much you use it.
About the cheap stick welder: you'd be surprised how good these are, it depends more on the quality of the rod/stick (and the user of course) than the machine...

Then the MIG setup is your best option, once you have a welder you'll be surprised how much you use it.
About the cheap stick welder: you'd be surprised how good these are, it depends more on the quality of the rod/stick (and the user of course) than the machine...

Yep...the MIG is a "done deal". :thumbs: