What Is This Tool?

DC3

Been cleaning out my Dad's garage a little at a time and came across a few tools that I know nothing about. Anyone have a clue what this tool is?

It has no markings anywhere. The shiny part with the shorter handle is hollow and slides over the other part.

Thanks,

DC

IMG0030800.jpg

IMG0031800.jpg

IMG0032800.jpg

IMG0034800.jpg

looks like it's to push something out or hold it in the slot.. It's not a nibbler that's for sure. Maybe it's a parking meter/vending machine coin extractor LOL

Its a spring stretcher for brakes or whenever you need to install a spring. Made my own out of a flathead screwdriver.

Its a spring stretcher for brakes or whenever you need to install a spring. Made my own out of a flathead screwdriver.

Cool. I searched the web after you posted and while I can't find this exact tool anywhere, I found several similar tools. At first I thought the slot wasn't wide enough for brake springs. But then I came across a Lisle catalog. The ones with the smaller slots are listed for "import" vehicles. That makes sense as Dad had a Toyota pickup way back before they started being made in the states.

Thanks to everyone for the help with the tools.

DC

That's one of the similar models I found. Heavier duty than mine with a larger slot and beefier handles. For bigger springs apparently.

I knew Vettemod would be able to help me find the answers to these tools. There may be more to come, I haven't finished sorting through Dad's tools yet.

For those of you who still have your dads around, pick their brains now while you can still ask them questions.

DC

I too have a Toyota as your dad. Like I said, if you don't have one of fansy ones get a large flat screwdriver and grind a v in it and you now have a spring strether.

Danny

That's one of the similar models I found. Heavier duty than mine with a larger slot and beefier handles. For bigger springs apparently.

I knew Vettemod would be able to help me find the answers to these tools. There may be more to come, I haven't finished sorting through Dad's tools yet.

For those of you who still have your dads around, pick their brains now while you can still ask them questions.

DC

I have most all of my Dad's tools, and have sent many of them on to my son out in Ca. he/fiance' are moving out near the Nevada border, out of the large cities they been existing in.....

I still have a tool box to go.....

Makes me recall a funny CAR story from my childhood, asking Dad what was his first car.....he says....a FORD model T, back from when him and Mom were dating yet....we were driving in a Packard back in the early 50's....I asked what he bought next......He said it was a Chevy.....I asked why, he glanced at Mom and she snickered, as the T Ford kicked back on the hand crank, and he sprained/busted his wrist with it....but you know Kettering to the rescue.....:yahoo::crap:

It's actually a gasket scraper. :nuts:
I bought mine decades ago when I was wrenchin for a livin. Like the pic shows in the link, different width blades can be used which makes it a tad more versatile and you can offset mount them for tight locations.
Assemble the 2 pc handle, place the blade in the slot & tighten the handles together. The notched arbor compresses the blade in the slot for a firm hold.
I dress/sharpen the flat blade edges and I like to remove the sharp corners to reduce 'dig-ins'.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-51000..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0f4a3547&vxp=mtr
Lookin for refills?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LISLE-6-PIECE-2-GASKET-SCRAPER-REPLACEMENT-BLADE-51140-/310467258273

It's actually a gasket scraper.

It sure looks similar to the Lisle you referenced but I don't think it works the same. There is no way to tighten the handles together on the tool I have. The silver part with the slot just slides onto the other part. I can assemble the tool and insert a single edge razor blade in the slot but the only way it will stay is for me to two hand it and apply pressure on each handle in opposite directions. Either that or I wear out my thumb applying pressure on the lower handle. As soon as I relax the blade pops out.

DC

It's actually a gasket scraper.

It sure looks similar to the Lisle you referenced but I don't think it works the same. There is no way to tighten the handles together on the tool I have. The silver part with the slot just slides onto the other part. I can assemble the tool and insert a single edge razor blade in the slot but the only way it will stay is for me to two hand it and apply pressure on each handle in opposite directions. Either that or I wear out my thumb applying pressure on the lower handle. As soon as I relax the blade pops out.

DC

It's quite simple, just works differently than what you'd expect.
The blade actually holds the tool together. The solid arbor rod threads into its handle. This allows extension/retraction of the rod.
When inserted into the hollow (slot) tube with a blade in place, the arbor rod compresses (retraction) the blade against the slot tube keeping it from rotating. (without blade the rod freely rotates in the tube)
The threads are tough to turn, I usually use a rag to improve grip.
It looks like your arbor rod maybe too far into the handle (amt of threat showing) so vise grip it & turn handle out a bit.
As an old German engineer once told me: "Chust keeep playing vis it!" :lol:

The solid arbor rod threads into its handle. This allows extension/retraction of the rod.
As an old German engineer once told me: "Chust keeep playing vis it!"

Got it! I didn't realize the threads were to adjust the tool. The handle was very tight but I loosened it up with some lube and worked the tool several times. Now, adjustment is easy. Put a single edge razor blade in the slot, tighten the lower handle, done and ready for scraping.

Ok guys. Rod wins this one. :beer:

This makes a bit of sense as Dad kept it in the same drawer with other scraping tools.

I suppose it could also be used as a spring stretcher for small springs. The slot is just so much smaller than the spring stretchers I found online, it made me wonder.