made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

MYBAD79

The other 'project':

painted under the hood and inside the door opening.... still a lot of work left to do....

100_3791Small.jpg

100_3785Small.jpg
100_3786Small.jpg

Maybe December/January, right now we have too many "love bugs" here in FL..... nasty little bugs....I don't have a booth so I depend a little on weather and other "environmental" conditions LOL

Maybe December/January, right now we have too many "love bugs" here in FL..... nasty little bugs....I don't have a booth so I depend a little on weather and other "environmental" conditions LOL

Too bad we can't spray someting on the entire state to kill them damn 'love bugs'.....I hate them too....PIA....

:smash:

It's "diamond blue" base with a medium blue pearl in the first two coats of clear. I used a little too much pearl under the hood, fortunately it won't be too noticeable once the gas tank is installed (yes, under the front hood) ;)

Karsten-- The Garlits' Museum in Ocala has a Ghia-- 23 miles on it and never been titled. Still has the plastic on the seats. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that one.

Last night and today I spent some time sanding and I shot three coats epoxy ....the front is ready for one last coat of primer/surfacer and then paint.... the rear is next.... :cool:

100_3792Small.jpg
and the hood is installed and the underside is painted:
100_3793Small.jpg

a concern

Do you have enough coats of your color? The light grey primer may make it look like you've got full coverage, but there may not be enough paint on there yet?

They got these black/white cards at the auto paint store. See how many coats it takes until you cant tell which side is black or white.

I know you probably got this down 100%, but if not, I hope I did you a favor. Nice build there. Ghia convert is unusual.

jim

Do you have enough coats of your color? The light grey primer may make it look like you've got full coverage, but there may not be enough paint on there yet?

They got these black/white cards at the auto paint store. See how many coats it takes until you cant tell which side is black or white.

I know you probably got this down 100%, but if not, I hope I did you a favor. Nice build there. Ghia convert is unusual.

jim

I don't have good light inside the garage so I sprayed 3 coats just to be safe. On these pics it looks like the blue is lighter and darker in some areas, that's because of the blue pearl in the first two coats of clear.

I'll spray some paint on the black and white (I assume spraypaint white and black on cardboard is good enough?) before I shoot the exterior - good idea :thumbs:

This is only the second car I'm painting so I'm all open ears for suggestions :bump:

All it needs is a turbo GN engine in it......:trumpet::devil:

nah.... first I want to get the 1.6L 50HP air cooled monster running.... a 2.1L stroker is already scheduled for after whenever I get the '79 completed... maybe 2014..... :quote: